Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Attorney Steven Weinberg contacts ELI on behalf of John MacDougall of Masterfile  (Read 12847 times)

Digitizer3k

• View Profile
According to her own profile, "Shay" has generated a 7 figure revenue for MF...

http://tinyurl.com/3h28zot

D3K

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Man, is this ever sweet.
Thanks Digitizer3k!!

Also, thanks for the figures, Matt.
I did some math in a previous posting.
Here's an excerpt of a the posting that I made on May 22, 2011:

----

As we know, masterfile's private.
I would imagine that they keep their info closely guarded.
If it could be actually proven that they continue to exist because of copyright extortion, a savvy person could argue that they have purposely encouraged it.

Another poster on this forum did mention previously that MF gets 85 percent of its revenue from the extortion scheme.
If you type "masterfile revenue" into google, that post comes up first or second in the listing.  Fun times!

Another report estimates revenue of 6.2 million per annum for MF.
MF's president, Steve Pigeon mentioned in one of his troll rants that his company pursues over 7000 cases of infringement a year.
So, let's do the math.  85% of $6.2 million is $5,270,000.
Let's assume that only half of the people pay up...  7000/2 = 3500.
How much would each person have to pay up on average to make the 5.27 million in revenue?
ummm...  $5,270,000 / 3500 = $1505.71.
MF would incur some expenses to find and pressure their victims, of course.

---

Just some food for thought.

S.G.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
I think Getty is sending much more than 7,000 letters per year. That number probably is closer to their weekly output. They just paid $20MM for PicScout so you can imagine how much dough this is making for them.  Matt has expressed exactly how I feel about the forum issue/  I do not think we should try and block the digital image industry from looking at this (if we even could), just post anonymously if you want to express yourself properly and dont want to be identified or if you want to ask a question about your issue. 

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.