Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Blackline Lawyer Julie Stewart Successfully Cleans ELI Scribd Account  (Read 6089 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
It appears Blackline Lawyer Julie Stewart has won in cleaning out our ELI Scribd Account of every document we uploaded INCLUDING the emails that Oscar and I entirely wrote yourselves!  She will be happy to know that we will not attempt to upload replacements since Scribd has already passed judgment.  I am a big boy and I know when to concede defeat on a front.

I cannot remember all the files she had Scribd delete from our Scribd account but this is the current list of documents being suppressed by her:

* Oscar Michelen's email reply to Julie Stewart
* Matthew Chan's email reply to Julie Stewart
* Julie Stewart Resume
* Blackline Settlement Demand Letter (currently in counter-notification stages)

Unlike her, I can admit my losses and mistakes.  She, on the other hand, is unapologetic and trying to cover her tracks and her embarrassing work. She may be able to suppress the information on the Scribd front but she will be hard-pressed to suppress the information that exists on the ELI website since the majority of the content is authored by us and the community base.

I have mixed feelings about what Scribd has done. I am annoyed but not angered by Scribd.  Scribd provides a great service, it is THEIR website, so we need to play by THEIR rules.  I can accept that.  But clearly, it is not a good platform to post content relating to disputes unless it is actually a court document. So I recommend that the ELI community not try to post anything to Scribd.  It isn't worth the hassle and appears to be outside the realm of their preferred content.

However, I am ticked that she deleted Oscar's and my email replies to her on the Scribd site.  She can't touch us on the ELI site because this is "home base" and we are free to speak freely and state our opinions. We wrote and authored our respective letters and there can be no claims whatsoever of copyright infringement at all.  My hosting provider appears to read the actual content being challenged. If she wants to shout defamation, libel, and slander, have at it. Oscar and I and the rest of you guys will be watching.

Going to start my rant now....

I normally try to not to engage in name-calling but I am going to make an exception for myself.... now. The following is MY OPINION which I am entitled to. She is a coward, inexperienced, and a cry-baby of a lawyer.  She is a supposedly an expert on copyright infringement and online issues and yet how pathetic is it when she wants to delete her own resume from the Internet and a so-called law practice with no identifying photo of herself.  Maybe she is too ugly or maybe she is too beautiful for the profession. Who knows? Oscar and I will never win awards for being Mr. G.Q. but for better and for worse, we stand up and stand by who we are.

What thing I don't like is being censored.  It is a huge pet peeve of mine. I try to be rational and reasonable but there is a reason I became an independent publisher and broadcaster.  I wanted a platform (however small it might be) where I have the freedom to communicate my thoughts, ideas, and opinions on different subjects. She has attempted to censor Oscar and I. And neither one of us like it very much if someone tries to shut us up.  That only adds fuel to the fire.

Julie is acting like a child, hiding out because she was exposed for her tactics that she is so desperately trying to hide.  How dare one of her opponents seek out help.  She has also been so embarrassed that she has been put in her place. Getting spanked (it's a metaphor, dumbass, you know who I am talking to) publicly and with words is not fun especially for a newbie lawyer.  As far as the Internet is concerned, she is a faceless entity hiding behind her email address and website with no online credibility.  It is sad from a professional point of view.

Believe it or not, I actually felt a little sorry for her earlier today.  That all changed when I discovered the ELI Scribd account cleaned out! I no longer feel sorry for her. That did tick me off.  She deserves the negative attention she is getting and will continue to get for sending her "bully letters".  Karma is a real bitch in this business.  Ask Righthaven, Riddick, Imageline, and the RIAA.  The newbie lawyers are upset about the term "extortion letters" because people might get them "confused" with real extortionists.  So I have just coined a new alternative to "extortion letters". We can call them "bully letters".  And we can have a website named BullyLetterInfo.com.

It is especially appropriate because when you punch a bully back, they start crying like a baby and running home to their mommy saying "he hit me" when the fact of the matter is they deserved that punch in the nose.  How is your nose feeling, Ms. Stewart?  Is it swollen yet?

She refuses to own up to the letters she wrote and take responsibility for the words she put down.  So, she wants to play this game of "wack-a-mole".  It is going to be tough game for her because the news and word is out on her regardless if anyone actually sees the document she continues to suppress. I can stop tomorrow and Julie will still have a crappy reputation. People aren't stupid and people can read between the lines.  No one respects a lawyer that cannot stand up or speak for themselves.

She will be happy to know that I am not going to obsess over her and her little practice.  From what I have seen, I am not impressed.  And if a client like Hawaiian Network is stupid enough to hire her, they deserve what they get.

My rant is now over.... I feel better.

Matthew

P.S. I try to be classy but I guess I am really not.  Sorry.  That is why I hang out with Oscar.  He has enough class for the both of us.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Blackline Lawyer Julie Stewart Successfully Cleans ELI Scribd Account
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:43 AM »
This clearing needs to be reported to chillingeffects.org

http://chillingeffects.org/dmca-sub/

I would be more than happy to take the time to do so, I f I have Matts approval to do such
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »
All the important information that people need regarding Julie, Brandon and Hawaiian Art is now out there.
Other sites will pick up on it too.  So, mission accomplished, and well done.

S.G.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
I think hosting the PDF files on your site is probably your best bet. Especially if you have the bandwidth and even more importantly if you have a web host that has your back. In a lot of cases its easier for someone to cut and run rather than stand up to a lawyers bullying letters.

That said, there are other sites that will host your documents including:
http://issuu.com
http://www.docstoc.com
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
I may have jumped the gun.  It appears that the missing documents on Scribd were a result of one DMCA complaint over 4 different documents.  Scribd kindly provided the original complaint to me.

A DMCA counter-notification letter was already issued for the Blackline Settlement Demand Letter.

I am going to simply let her resume stay deleted. I don't care enough about it.

I will probably issue another counter-notification letter for the other two letters out of principle.  We are not dependent on Scribd but the DMCA complaint is really bogus on these two.  There simply is no standing and I am going to challenge it.

But I got other things to do besides mess with this day-in and day-out.  The one thing we can all thank Julie for is that all of us are learning a ton about the DMCA process.  I never wrote a DMCA counter-notification letter in my life but I think I am getting the swing of it.

Matthew

================================

FROM SCRIBD

Pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, I am requesting the
removal of the following infringing document/s hosted on your server:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/72752689/Blackline-Lawyer-Julie-Stewart-s-Resume
http://www.scribd.com/doc/72744163/Blackline-Lawyer-Julie-Stewart-Email-Notice-to-ELI
http://www.scribd.com/doc/70625769/Blackline-Settlement-Demand-Letter
http://www.scribd.com/doc/72747335/Oscar-Michelen-s-Reply-to-Blackline-Lawyer-Julie-Stewart

The document is an infringement of a copyrighted work of authorship as
defined in Title 17 of the Copyright statute.

I have a good faith belief that use of the material on the above mentioned
website is not authorized by the copyright owner.

Furthermore these documents contain my home address and phone number and
this is now a personal safety issue, which I would hope Scribd would take
very seriously

The information in this notification is accurate, and is made under penalty
of perjury. I am the owner of the exclusive right that is allegedly
infringed.

Please contact me at the number below if you have any questions, thank you
for your attention to this urgent matter.

Julie Stewart
Lawyer, Blackline Art + Entertainment Law
T: 1-(416)-628-8364
F: 1-(416)-628-8364
www.blacklinelaw.ca
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Be grateful your not google or twitter, I just spend the better part of 3 hrs rooting thru the DB at chilling effects, they get literally 100's per day!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:27:27 PM »
Looks like she didn't bother to remove her resume yet.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y5TC8QLL

S.G.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.