Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Went completely dark..SOL passed..yeehaw  (Read 4014 times)

SebastianInlet

• View Profile
Went completely dark..SOL passed..yeehaw
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
3 years ago I was in panic mode. I had a 5 image "infringement " accdg to Getty. (Reinforced by 5 followups from McCormack) Since I have a commercial site, I thought I was  low hanging fruit. I removed the images immediately, and was wondering whether I should pay them their  8 grand and be done w/it, or settle for 5 or so.   I even called my Prepaid Legal Service who turned out to be as useful as a dried up testicle; they suggested I give Getty the full amount ASAP. When I found this forum I realized I wasn't alone, and the more I learned the more my fear turned to being just pissed off. I called Matt for a support call-best idea ever. He carefully reviewed my info, and suggested the opposite of my Pre-paid legal scam..err.."service." On his advice I went completely dark, no response to anything, no emails, phone calls, nada. Had it not been for Matt and his reality based analysis on the odds of actually being sued, no matter how easy of a target you think you might be, I'd be out or more grand for what??

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Went completely dark..SOL passed..yeehaw
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »
Hi Sebastian,

Congrats on making the SOL! It is interesting how people report in. It goes to show that we know what we are talking about and how so much of the fear is irrational or misplaced.  There are situations and parties that are higher risk than others. But for many people, just go away and shutting up is sometimes the most efficient way.

Prepaid Legal Services and their ilk are essentially useless and a waste of money for anyone who gets into a real issue. I have seen some of the "services" and letters provided. They are written by lower-level lawyers from big firms and have little or no meat to what they offer.  Stay away from Prepaid Legal Services, period.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

SebastianInlet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:28:17 PM »
Sitting out an SOL is a rush..especially given that lawsuits are typically filed in 2nd or last year. Sounds OCD, but I was checking Justia dockets and filings everyday for the last year. What made it much easier was knowing there are back up options that you have alluded to that can render judgements essentially un-collectable.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:48:11 AM »
Congrats on making your SOL! 
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
Congratulations, Sebastian!  And thanks for sharing your story.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.