Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: First Getty... Now Superstock  (Read 5781 times)

BANJODOG

• View Profile
First Getty... Now Superstock
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »
I guess I should have been more careful setting up my website in 2007.  I grabbed a few images from the net, conducted business as usual and never had any issues untill last year I get a demand for $850. from Getty for copyright infringement.  I cantact my attorney and he says pay the fine.  Since I quickly removed the offending image I figured I would ignore this letter - any my attorney.  To date I have not heard back from Getty.  Hopefully I will not in the future.  I gambled and it appears I saved myself $850.

Then, last week a get onother letter on a different image.  This time is is from Superstock.  They want $1120.  This is getting old.  I am now more fearful since the tone of this letter is more threatening.  I am not sure what to do here.  How can I test to see if this it a true legitimate claim?  Should I gamble again?  Maybe there is  some general advice on handling this.  I am at a loss on this.  I am so happy to find this forum.  Any advice here would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:28:32 AM by BANJODOG »

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: First Getty... Now Superstock
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »
This is precisely the kind of situation that gets ZERO sympathy from me.

You dodged a bullet once. You became aware that images you grab from Google are not "free" or in the public domain. You have the knowledge that companies are out there that prey on this sort of infringement. Yet you did nothing. You could have spent $50 and a couple hours of looking at microstock catalogs and replaced those images. Nah, too much trouble.

Usually this place is pretty open and helpful. And maybe someone else might have some advice for you. But for my part, I'll just say "good luck."
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
I've been thinking of how to respond to this for a while, once again MCFilms comes to the rescue.. I admit I probably wouldn't have been as tactful..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Peeved

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
Sorry but I've got to agree with the boys on this one. After learning of this trolling issue, we will not use STOCK PHOTOS period end. We will use only our own from here on to avoid any possible future demands from trolls. There are however other options. Mcfilms has been so kind as to create a list of public domain sites for some possibilities.

With regard to "dodging a bullit", please do not be surprised if Getty is not done with you as well.

Agree...Good luck to you. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:05:26 PM by Peeved »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »
@Peeved: BOYS?? Wrong! We are Super Heroes without masks and capes!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

Peeved

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »
@Peeved: BOYS?? Wrong! We are Super Heroes without masks and capes!

LOL!! Oh pardon my mistake! I stand corrected! lol........
 ;D

BANJODOG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the great advice.  I missed another image. 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »
Thanks for the great advice.  I missed another image.

By the tone of your OP, it sounded like you were not very pro-active, in removing possibly infringing images. It's pretty simple really you either have a license for every image or you don't, for the ones you don't have a license for, they should have been removed.. as far as advice goes, there are literally 1000's of post here with advice, do some research, get some education, then feel free to ask any specific questions..Just because the sympathy may not be there doesn't mean you won't get help, but you have to do some of the lifting yourself..

Robert Krausankas

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.