Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Canadian victims... here's an article of interest by the CIPPIC  (Read 5596 times)

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Canadian victims... here's an article of interest by the CIPPIC
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:26:29 PM »
Canadian victims... here's an article of interest by the CIPPIC

http://www.cippic.ca/en/Trolls

A Happy New Year to all, and many thanks for the stellar work done by so many contributors to ELI.
The efforts made here are often nothing less than heroic.

S.G.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Canadian victims... here's an article of interest by the CIPPIC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
That is a great article SG! I have made note of the link on this thread so I can refer it to others if they are from Canada!  Thanks for sharing!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:34:23 PM »
SG, excellent find. Thank you for sharing this superb overview and useful  resources.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »
SG,

Great job on finding this.

Great job to CIPPIC for finally doing something meaningful to help its Canadian victims and letter recipients.  CIPPIC even refers to ELI as a reliable source of information under "Secondary Materials".

I think the Copyright Trolls FAQ was well-written and well-explained. Even I got a few valuable nuggets out of it to incorporate into the ELI Support Calls.

It appears that ELI has certainly had a strong influence in the creation and the content of the FAQ. It is nice to see another "credible" website take on the copyright extortionists and calling them out on their insidious and underhanded tactics.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

lamilina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly?
If I used a photo on a Canadian website, then Getty must own both the US and Canadian copyright?

"Many trolls have registered works in the United States, and provide copies of these registrations to Canadian victims to "prove" that they own copyright in Canada.  US copyright registrations are irrelevant in Canada - only Canadian registrations have any relevance. "

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
You get different rights if the work if "registered." But if I register it in the US, I can't claim its a registered work in a Canada unless I register it in Canada as well. 

lamilina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
Thank you Oscar, that's what I thought.  What make my situation even more interesting is that my company is Croatian owned but they are contacting me at my personal residence in Canada.
So in this situation they would also have to hold the Croatian copyright.
Thanks, this forum has been very helpful.
Lynda

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:46:02 PM »
Offhand, I'd say that it would governed by Croatian laws.

Ironically, Getty doesn't hold the copyrights to the images that comprise most of its collections.
If they are copyrighted at all, the copyrights are often held by the artist/photographers in botched bulk registrations.
Additionally, Getty's contracts with its artists were recently revealed to be in a state of shambles.

In any case, it's rather pointless to inquire as to whether or not they own the copyright.
They'll often call your bluff by saying that they don't have to send you proof unless it goes to court.

Getty images have never filed a lawsuit over a single image, so it's unlikely that anything would ever come of this.

S.G.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.