Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: CEG Email?  (Read 16948 times)

ahhtheletter

• View Profile
Re: CEG Email?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »
How is a hobby or celebrity fan site any different than a Pinterest or Tumblr page? You weren't selling prints or using it in marketing material.

No one can tell you what to do, but if it were me, I would firmly make my opinion known that I consider this fair use. I would explain that the entire concept of "fair use" is a rather gray area and they probably disagree with that assessment. However if they decide to pursue this matter I would make it very clear that I would become very proactive and very loud. I would mention friends at the EFF, news media and government agencies. I'd let them know that you are the type of person that would like to establish clarity on this issue and you are willing to go "all the way" to get that clarity.

Something like that.

I followed your advice and Techdirt has posted a story about my site. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120515/07173918924/copyright-troll-demands-8500-rarely-visited-lindsay-lohan-fansite.shtml

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
Nice! these trolls just love the extra exposure we get for them!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

ahhtheletter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »
In my correspondences with him I mentioned the vast amount of support ELI has given me. The more negative publicity these trolls get, the better. I am happy you put that link in the comments. I mean in all honesty who has 35000 siting in the bank for two images. The laws need to be changed to help protect people and not make the rich businesses even richer.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
Wow, nice work AhhTheLetter. That's a great article and will hopefully spark more awareness.

The writer touched on another idea. I wonder if it would be possible to get LiLo's people involved in some way. Like he said, it was a pure fan site that had a positive view of the actress. I don't really think you are in any real jeopardy, so you don't need help. But maybe there would be interest in protecting fans.

Another thing: although CEG apparently has the right to enforce the photographer's copyright (or claim to), a celebrity also has a "right to publicity" and attempting to make money off of their likeness can land them in trouble. If you want to poke them a bit, your next letter could ask for copies of the agreement with the photographer and a release from the subject. I haven't seen these pictures, but I just wonder if AKM Images or CEG has a model release.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
Good point MC, would be great to see LiLO and her people go after the troll!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 05:48:11 PM »

Robert Krausankas

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
I did not know about that site. I found this interesting: the chatter on that thread is about trying to drum up some racketeering charges and use the RICO statute to go after the trolls.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 10:21:15 PM »
FightCopyrightTrolls.com (FCT) is an ELI-recommended website. I read that website to keep up with our brother-in-arms fight on the P2P/Bittorrent lawsuit front. I have gotten some great nuggets reading SJD's analysis there.

I have been in contact with SJD behind the scenes a few months back.  We have a mutual respect for each other's websites and the related work we do on the different copyright trolling fronts.

I did not know about that site. I found this interesting: the chatter on that thread is about trying to drum up some racketeering charges and use the RICO statute to go after the trolls.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

SJD

• View Profile
    • Fight Copyright Trolls
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »
Thanks! I would love to stop by and comment more often, but currently I'm overwhelmed with FCT activities. I really appreciate what you guys do. Publicity is much more powerful weapon than I thought a yer ago when I was a scared, disoriented victim of a troll's attack.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
No problems. I perfectly understand. It is busy enough maintaining your own community without having to participate in others.

We love publicity. Wonderful tool. Court of public opinion works much quicker. We are online publicity whores nowadays.  LOL.  We also love the power of natural, organic SEO.

Thanks for stopping in. You are welcome anytime.  Again, keep up the good work. I am a fan and reader of FCT.

Thanks! I would love to stop by and comment more often, but currently I'm overwhelmed with FCT activities. I really appreciate what you guys do. Publicity is much more powerful weapon than I thought a yer ago when I was a scared, disoriented victim of a troll's attack.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
Did you just call me a whore?? That has got to be the nicest thing anyone has said about me in a long time!

Robert Krausankas

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.