Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Change of ownership at Getty  (Read 7842 times)

Ethan Seven

• View Profile
Change of ownership at Getty
« on: September 17, 2018, 02:13:19 AM »
I wonder if this will prompt any changes to how and how often they pursue infringements.

https://petapixel.com/2018/09/05/getty-images-to-be-owned-by-the-getty-family-once-again/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:18:37 AM by Matthew Chan »
Even if I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer.  Copyright matters can have serious consequences.  If you have assets worth protecting, consult a lawyer who is familiar with copyright law and who can review the facts of your case. If you cannot afford one, call your state or county bar association.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Change of ownership at Getty
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 02:18:26 AM »
Very interesting.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

aot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 04:20:13 PM »
Only time will tell. Having your name attached may steer Getty in a different direction. But, unless enough independent creatives join hand and work against copyright trolls and bring end to the "statuary damage" clause, it's hard to say if copyright extortion schemes will slow down or end.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:33:36 PM »
Gettys reputation is in the trash and it willcontinue to be there, both users ( letter recipients) and photographers hate Getty Images and what they stand for. Jonathan Klein did a very thorough job of tarnishing a once well respected name.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.