Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Image Protect tries again after 1 year  (Read 6872 times)

Martial

• View Profile
Image Protect tries again after 1 year
« on: September 22, 2018, 08:08:38 AM »
Wanted to share my story to see if there is anyone with a similar experience. I received an email from ImageProtect for an image of a donut. I received 1 email each week for 4 weeks, threatening litigation, and casually stating that copyright infringement would result in a $150,000 penalty. I spoke to my father and his lawyer. Both studied the letter and stated it looked like a scam. Funny thing is that Gmail parked it as [spam]. After 30 days, no further correspondence. Then they restarted again after a year. So far have only 1 email and have a week to respond, apparently. I will continue to ignore. Considering the nature of the image (a donut), and the quantity (1). If this does go to a lawyer, then I'll lawyer up. I have no money, but there is no reason to give in to this sort of extortion. Courts are supposed to protect you from such ridiculous situations, and I still do believe in a fair judgment. From this forum, it appears that most people face a similar situation. The communication seems to escalate as the years go on, and at times quietly disappears. Any feedback on my story would be appreciated. Thank you for this forum.

kingkendall

• View Profile
Re: Image Protect tries again after 1 year
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
Keep your powder dry.  Do not respond and do not call  Document EVERYTHING.  Keep every letter, every email and every phone call and put it in a folder.  Other may disagree and say give them a call and negotiate. 

Here's my problem with that.  Unless you're a lawyer and very careful with your words, you can say something that puts you in a disadvantage.   But, let's you want to negotiate anyway.  And the copyright law firm is asking for 4,000, 5,000 or something ridiculous number.  Even if you negotiate it down 50% or even 75%, that still hundreds of dollars more than the photo is worth.  It's still extortion by legal means. 

Martial

• View Profile
Re: Image Protect tries again after 1 year
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »
Thank you for the response. I've never received a phone call or correspondence through the mail - just emails. This last email asked me if I was represented by a lawyer and that I should provide information about my legal team so that they can forward it to their legal team. Appears to be a tactic to make them appear more legit. Image Protect's website looks far less scammy then a year ago, which may simply suggest that there are many who have given into their fear tactics. I'm a bit confused about the one-year gap though. Original letter said that I would be pursued be Tetra Images legal counsel, but then states that Tetra Images is their client.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.