Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Class action suit filed against “Getty Images Master Delegate” in Israel.  (Read 39405 times)

stinger

• View Profile
Thanks for the news Scraggy.

I think we should nominate that judge for an ELI "person of the year" award.  She righted a wrong that she saw even after a settlement had been reached.  I wish all judges were like that.

lucia

• View Profile
Thanks for the update and good news Scraggy!!
There seems to be a trend in the courts wherein these huge legal demands for minor infringements are being called out as excessive.

Scraggy seems to be quite a good Mensch!!

S.G.
Cool! And the judge! Whoo hooo!  Mensch is masculine, right? So, what do we call the judge?

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Where is the "LIKE" button? Sometimes, I feel such a strong emotional need to "LIKE", and there's no button there!

there is a like button...2 in fact....directly under every post!!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

scraggy

• View Profile
You guys are so right. The Jerusalem Magistrate court judge's name is Tamar Bar-Asher Tzaban. She had the easy option of putting her stamp on the plaintiff's request, and drinking her morning coffee. Instead, she absolutely knew what she was doing when she exited her chambers. She was fulfilling her responsibilities, and achieving a degree of justice. When we have an ELI awards ceremony, I think the judge in the Advernet verdict will still win first place.

One other point related to SG's comment. The judge also said that the entire case was right on the border of "de minimis", either just below or just above the cut off line.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
We can call the judge "informed"..!

S.G.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
That is awesome news Ian!  Thanks for the update, keep the good news coming!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Thanks for sharing that Ian. I love hearing about these reasonable proceedings around the world. Good luck next month. It looks like the tide is going your way.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

scraggy

• View Profile
Sorry to inform everyone that the class action suit came to a halt today.

The judge advised us strongly to withdraw our request, citing the great difficulties ahead!

For example, our request did not come within the consumer protection laws, as required by the class action laws here. Furthermore, there would be great difficulty in canceling the signed agreements between Marot Image and those who had already paid them.

The judge (Anat Baron) had read all the details of the case, and was, in my opinion, being honest and fair. She made no comment regarding Marot’s right to sue, one way or the other.

She did not award any costs against me, which is saying something!

I did my best! The decision by no means gives Marot the right to sue!

Ian

stinger

• View Profile
That sucks.  But Ian, you are a fighter, and I would welcome you on my team anytime.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
I am sorry to hear about that Ian, it was a good fight and showed many others they don't have to stand there and take it.  You did a great job!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Hey a battle well fought regardless of the outcome!

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
Ian, what you've done amounts to a victory anyway. You've gotten both Marot and Getty exposed for their sleazy practices and in that sense you scored big in the court of public relations.

You've also made it a lot less likely for others to fall into the Marot/Getty trap by shining light on their chicanery.

Pretty much what ELI does for anyone who will research, learn, and most importantly, fight back.

Well done, Ian!
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
I just thought of another benefit/victory Ian, you created a major time suck and financial drain on them both and a little payback for what they are doing to innocent infringers is more than okay with me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:35:41 AM by Greg Troy (KeepFighting) »

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Agreed! Perhaps now they will be a bit more selective in whom they send letters to.. You are to be commended on your efforts.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
This is a "win" in my book.
It's likely the end of Marot's bogus copyright enforcement efforts.

From this, one can see that it's difficult to challenge or essentially "undo" settlement agreements.
This should be a lesson for those that are considering settling with Getty, or others.
If you find out that you paid too much, or even that you shouldn't have paid a settlement at all, it's difficult to rectify that after the fact.

S.G.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.