Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Copyright Law Group Settlement Demand Letter (Attorney Mike Meier)  (Read 21239 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Copyright Law Group Settlement Demand Letter (Attorney Mike Meier)
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »
Another "wow" moment. Yet another unexpected written piece released.

Cory Doctorow
has written hard-hitting commentary about the Mike Meier incident on Boing Boing and basically rips into Mike pretty hard about his actions as it relates to how the State Bar Association might view it. Go check it out.

http://boingboing.net/2014/08/26/copyright-troll-abuses-dmca-in.html

It appears the interwebs continues to speak loudly and forcefully to reinforce and remind others that the Streisand Effect is alive and well. In fact, it is more powerful than ever.

For a non-Getty related post, this is a shining example of what Hawaiian Trio (James Stephen Street, Dane K. Anderson, Vincent K. Tylor), corporate counsel members of Getty images, Seattle lawyer Timothy B. McCormack, and many others over the years who repeatedly cried and whined to Oscar, his law firm, and other entities can look forward to with their sneaky, backroom, underhanded tactics to shut me and ELI up. 

Do these people honestly think they can make a complaint about me and ELI and then expect those complaints NOT to get back to me? Do you think the interwebs don't talk or email behind THEIR backs? What is the point of a complaint? Do they want Oscar to sit me down and reprimand me for outing and reporting on backroom activities?  Do these folks need a counselor's shoulder to cry on?  Oscar's job is not to soothe their sorrows or be my daddy.

Enemies of ELI should realize they cannot easily overcome the power of the interwebs, the First Amendment, bloggers rights, Section 230 CDA, the Streisand Effect, and the general hatred of people who engage in copyright thuggery. Everyone gets to choose if they want to part of it or against it. Smart lawyers understand the interwebs, First Amendment, bloggers rights, Section 230, the Streisand Effect, and against copyright/patent trolling. Take heed. The army is legion in this camp of which I play only a small (but proud) part of.

Don't be a Steve Gibson, John Steele, Paul Duffy, Paul Hansmeier, Charles Carreon, or Mike Meier. (Who else did I miss?) All of these big, bad, mean, and greedy lawyers were "put into the ground" by their stupidity. Nearly all have been profusely shamed and suffered greatly from public complaints, negative press coverage, and State Bar Complaints for their general douchebaggery.

I normally don't plaster any of my email addresses in a forum thread but I make an exception here given this unexpected opportunity.  Any "interesting information" that anyone wants to send me (I will protect anonymity) can be sent to matt31908@gmail.com.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:27:56 AM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Copyright Law Group Settlement Demand Letter (Attorney Mike Meier)
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 02:18:58 PM »
Popehat (of which I am a big fan of their website and especially of Ken White's witty commentaries) has offered their views of Mike Meier and the subsequent Streisand Effect.

http://www.popehat.com/2014/08/27/attorney-mike-meier-meets-the-streisand-effect-does-not-enjoy-experience/

It is yet another reminder to all those engaged in copyright thuggery to be wary of the actions you take against your critics especially if you are trying to use trickery to silence them.  The interwebs don't take kindly to that. 

The Streisand Effect affects everyone and anyone even if you are a billion-dollar conglomerate with an army of lawyers.  You can't threaten or sue everyone into silence or make everyone scrub the Internet on your behalf.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.