Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Getty Demand Letter - Waited it out  (Read 3443 times)

BearSkin

• View Profile
Getty Demand Letter - Waited it out
« on: May 10, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »
Hello! I wanted to share my story and how this site helped after receiving the dreaded Getty Demand letter. My wife had an image on a personal blog for a couple of months before we received a letter from Getty siting copyright infringement. It was a bit of a shock reading through the document and the $800 requested amount for this single image. Though the letter looked hastily put together and unprofessional. We took the image down right away and I began researching these letters to see if anyone else had encountered this. Somewhere in the wee hours of the night I found this site and after reading through numerous accounts of this same type of letter, decided that laying low and not responding would be the right choice for us. I felt that the usage of the image in this blog would certainly fall within the "fair use" category though I'm not an expert to say for sure.

The letter had the typical verbiage; you have 30 days to send the money or we will sue. But we still opted to wait it out. Another letter was received about a month or two later again saying the same thing. But we still waited.

The 3 years have come and gone since that first letter. I continued to read about others on this site but decided to not speak up until we got past the 3 year mark. But I felt the community here helped us navigate these waters and vowed to contribute when that happened. I'm not saying this is the right route for everyone and it certainly came with its share of stress, but it worked for us!

Thanks ELI! I hope the best for anyone else in this situation!

kingkendall

• View Profile
Re: Getty Demand Letter - Waited it out
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
@BearSkin

Congrats for refusing to be low hanging fruit.  I know it wasn't a walk in te park.  But, you beat the scam because you kept you wits about you.  Copyright trolls thrive on fear and terror and misuse an outdated law that hasn't kept up with the digital age and using it to make money and justify it by saying it's the law.  It's a disgrace but you didn;t buckle.  Congrats!

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Getty Demand Letter - Waited it out
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:47:32 AM »
You are welcome! Congratulations on getting past the 3-year statute of limitations. Glad to be of service and it is nice of you to offer your unsolicited testimonial. You didn't have to but you took the time to do so. Much appreciated!

Thanks ELI! I hope the best for anyone else in this situation!
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.