Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Copytrack extortion letter  (Read 45948 times)

ChrisDH

• View Profile
Re: Copytrack extortion letter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 07:18:24 AM »
Hi guys,
Our company as well received an email 2 weeks ago from Copytrack, and today a reminder stating we have till the 16th of November to respond...The same as the other stories above, in Spanish, we are a Spanish company but we hired a company based in India to do the SEM for us, and they have posted photos etc...
So we don't know what they post, the only thing that matters to us us the result.
So if I would tomorrow post things anywhere, and start a business let's name is copytracktoo, then i can start sending emails to all these people and demanding money from them. Is it that easy? Is this a scam? What do we do about it? They haven't said how much they want from us...

kingkendall

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 12:40:40 AM »
Put the letter in a manila folder and do nothing.  Read the forum, a lot of good info here, get educated instead of getting panicked.  That deadline will pass and go until they send you another letter with a new deadline. 

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 02:02:08 AM »
Absent some compelling information or unexpected developments, I tend to believe Copytrack is pretty harmless to most people. They might persistently and annoyingly nag people for payment but I have not yet seen them take any meaningful action against anyone in the U.S.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Jolafrite59

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 06:08:05 AM »
Hello!

I have a website in France and have exactky the same problem! 2 pictures on my website!
I got 2 letters from copytrack in Germany.
Now a french company is trying to get the money from me. I got one letter from the french company and one phone call also. I did not answered.

Please help!!!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:20:41 AM by Jolafrite59 »

MC2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 06:58:23 AM »
Hi.

We also received a letter from Copytrack. We run a small (non-profitable) online arts magazine that we use to attract visitors to a website for a small city in the UK. We published an article early 2013 promoting a show at a nearby venue and were supplied with a photo by the venue (or artist's/event's pr agency, we honestly can't remember which). In October 2017 we received a letter from Copytrack billing us for 1400 Euros. We removed the image and ignored the letter. In the last few days we have received another letter asking us to transfer the funds. We are ignoring that too.

The way I see it is that Copytrack need to prove we were using it illegally. And if we were then they need to chase the PR agency that supplied it to us as we used it in good faith (and good luck with that as we have no record of who it was).

Basically Copytrack can send us as many threatening letters as they like but until they gain a court judgement (legal in a post-Brexit Britain) then we're not going to respond.

Of course, it would help their case if their letter was  much more than merely an invoice. It's as if they expected us to us to know who they were and that they were a legitimate concern with a legitimate claim. As they can't even be bothered to explain that my feeling is that they are basically chancers who hope the people they threaten with these invoices cave in and send them money, but that when faced with spending money themselves they won't follow it up. We shall see.

MC2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
Today we received our fifth (or maybe sixth!) missive from Copytrack. This time it was sent on behalf of Copytrack from Credit Limits International (www.creditlimitsinternational.com) an international debt collection agency based near us in the UK. We are continuing to ignore all letters about this issue.

If they were serious about collecting the money they'd have rung us by now.

MC2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 12:00:34 PM »
After a little research I have discovered that Credit Limits International Ltd are not authorised to collect debts in the UK.

Here, try a search on the Financial Conduct Authority's web site:

http://fca-consumer-credit-interim.force.com/CS_RegisterSearchPageNew

So that's that then. Copytrack and their UK debt collection agency Credit Limits International Ltd are nothing by chancers. Ignore them.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 01:10:21 AM »
These are copyright claims, not debts they are trying to collect. In any case, it is not so easy to get money from someone unwilling to pay. Hence, the reliance on people's legal ignorance and general fear-inducing strategies.

In my view Copytrack, so far, has been largely "harmless". Lots of notifications and threats but little else.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

lostpike

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 09:37:15 PM »
Was doing some research on Copytrack and came across your site and figured I would share the reason I was researching them. They currently have an ICO for a cryptocoin.

https://copytrack.io/

MC2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:23 AM »
Unbelievable. Not yet another dodgy company trying to raise money or boost share value by staging an ICO for a cryptocoin. There's going to be a lot of tears when all these prove worthless (and they will be).

Its Copytrack who have treated the copyright claim as a bad debt. The letter sent by the debt collecting agency they've employed makes this plain.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 05:46:32 PM »
Well, their credibility just dropped as far as I am concerned. They want to dabble in cybercurrency along with trying to issue demand letters? None of that mixes well in my mind.

Was doing some research on Copytrack and came across your site and figured I would share the reason I was researching them. They currently have an ICO for a cryptocoin.

https://copytrack.io/

scaffolding

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 11:01:04 PM »
Hi Guys,

It's my first post here, stumbled upon a same case as I have.

I run a small business in Indonesia and we've just refresh our website with new layout and contents about 2 months ago.

Our website doesn't have much images as most images are about the products, sent by the product owners. We added some clickbait articles and get the images related to them from internet.

I got an email from Copytrack days ago, insisting me to buy a photo that used in our website for about 300 euros. It says removing the picture will not inhibit legal enforcement.

We've just removed it from our website, but I wonder how it will end? And how frequently it is happened?

The clause "Removing the picture will not inhibit the legal enforcement", is it legal? We've just posted the image less than 2 months and the page has very small amount of visitors.

300+ euros means a lot for our small business.
Any help is appreciated.

MC2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 03:35:55 AM »
Frankly I'm amazed they bothered to contact you with a claim for only €300. I that no experience here (and certainly my own experience) is that they'll send you a string of letters, culminating with one from a third party debt collection agency and then give up and leave you alone. This assumes that you have taken the image down and don't reply to any of their missives.

In short, they are chancers. Ignore them and eventually they'll go away.

scaffolding

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
MC2, I think it's 300 euros because only 1 image. If you read 1st post in this thread by svsanchez he said he was charged by Copytrack for 1800 euros for 6 images.

I've just read posts about this similar subject in some forums.
I understand that using copyrighted digital material with intention is an infringement and is subject to a lawsuit.

The thing that still came in my mind is the email is simply threatening users with clause "Removing the image will not inhibit law enforcement".
This may be relevant if the user is an established company or the user deliberately resells the digital material even though he/she knows it's a violation.

I live in a country where many families earn about USD 400 - 600 per month per family. That amount is supporting a whole family members, including school tuition for kids, foods, installments or loans. Saving may be only USD 2500 - 4000 per year per family.

Imagine that a kid on the family learns to build website or learn to use social medias, and then uses some images he/she found on internet without feeling guilty and without having sufficient copyright knowledge.
Then it comes an email from Copytrack, demanding thousands of euros for that images, and stating that removing the images is not simply inhibiting the law enforcement...

MC2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »
The scammers tried to get £1400 out of us for one image. I think the charge must reflect the length of time the image was used for.

Anyway, don't fret. Put the letter in the bin and put all other letters you receive from them in the bin too. Don't worry, and don't think about Copytrack. They are snivelling cowards.

Have a nice life.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.