Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Creative Commons Photos on Facebook, Twitter, etc.  (Read 34114 times)

kingkendall

• View Profile
Re: Creative Commons Photos on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2018, 11:40:37 PM »
@@bilbo1

I think you're missing my point.  Low hanging fruit in the context of this forum are the people who give into the copyright troll troll after feeling a little pressure.  It's the bread and butter of the scam that the copyright troll depends to keep their scam going.  Do you want to be low hanging fruit?

Ethan Seven

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 12:25:21 AM »
I think some in the LGBT crowd find the phrase offensive.   It is tough to navigate the seas of political correctness.
Even if I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer.  Copyright matters can have serious consequences.  If you have assets worth protecting, consult a lawyer who is familiar with copyright law and who can review the facts of your case. If you cannot afford one, call your state or county bar association.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 05:55:43 PM »
Hmm.... I have frequently used the phrase "low-hanging fruit" on the ELI Forums. My use was intended as a euphemism for being an easy victim to target and pick at, not anything remotely sexual or connected to LGBT.

So, it seems I learn something new about a long-established euphemism. As of this post, a casual Google search on "low-hanging fruit" still overwhelmingly displays definitions analogous to "a thing or person that can be won, obtained, or persuaded with little effort" and "Easily obtained gains; what can be obtained by readily available means."

For now, we should be safe from the PC police.

I think some in the LGBT crowd find the phrase offensive.   It is tough to navigate the seas of political correctness.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

gollum

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 07:38:54 PM »
Hello all,

My wife owns a tiny commerce site. She used one of Marco Verch photos for a newsletter (50 subscribers). A relative that manages our social media shared a snapshot of the newsletter in Facebook and Twitter where the Marco's photo can be seen (he didn't share the photo itself but a snapshot with the photo embedded). Pixsy is using that tweet to claim £450 to my wife. How likely is Pixsy brings her to court in the UK. They have 27 followers in Twitter.
It's pretty easy to go to Intellectual Property Court in the UK and also cheap (£50 if you claim less then £500 I think) so we are a bit scared.

What is your advise?

@aot Happy to collaborate with you in the documentary you are planning to make.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 01:56:02 AM »
Gollum,

Unfortunately, most of the ELI participants and knowledgebase are based in the U.S. Most of us have little specifics in the legal procedures of UK or other international cases. However, the general advice of removing the photo, checking into the copyright registration, and strategies for negotiating a settlement is largely the same.

Hello all,

My wife owns a tiny commerce site. She used one of Marco Verch photos for a newsletter (50 subscribers). A relative that manages our social media shared a snapshot of the newsletter in Facebook and Twitter where the Marco's photo can be seen (he didn't share the photo itself but a snapshot with the photo embedded). Pixsy is using that tweet to claim £450 to my wife. How likely is Pixsy brings her to court in the UK. They have 27 followers in Twitter.
It's pretty easy to go to Intellectual Property Court in the UK and also cheap (£50 if you claim less then £500 I think) so we are a bit scared.

What is your advise?

@aot Happy to collaborate with you in the documentary you are planning to make.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Ethan Seven

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 07:22:21 PM »
The UK does not have a copyright registration regime like the US does. 

Copytrack is based in Germany.  They are not a law firm and do not have standing to litigate in the UK.   However, their customer might.   If’s possible, you can search court records to see if Marco Verch has ever litigated in the UK.  If not, you can be pretty sure that your small case will not be the first.

Even if I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer.  Copyright matters can have serious consequences.  If you have assets worth protecting, consult a lawyer who is familiar with copyright law and who can review the facts of your case. If you cannot afford one, call your state or county bar association.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.