Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: LCS, Gallery Stock  (Read 5266 times)

mtngant

• View Profile
LCS, Gallery Stock
« on: January 07, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
I have been getting letters from "License Compliance Services, Gallery Stock" since November.

Original messages were via email, two of which I responded to (I took down the one photo immediately, which was in a blog post four years ago). The blog post was a link to an article on a magazine site and used the same picture as the magazine site. My site sees very little traffic, it is a business site (residential construction), but like I said sees very little traffic. This blog post possibly was read by no one.

After the three email responses I have have ceased contact with them. The last letter states that this matter will be "flagged for escalation to our legal representatives for further pursuit" on Jan 9th.

Interestingly, they sent two letters with separate Reference IDs both with $500 demands for the same picture. However the letters are sent to both business names I use. So I guess they are trying to get paid twice for the same picture.

The price is ridiculous in that its not even a very good picture. If I knew I was going to have to pay for it, I would have taken a better picture myself. It is literally not worth $5.

Any advice?
Will they come after me for $500?

Thank you.

stinger

• View Profile
Re: LCS, Gallery Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »
Knowing nothing about your case, if I had to bet on it, I would bet that no one would sue your for $500.

That said, there are reasons they might want to sue you.  If you gave them incriminating evidence in your email correspondence, that might up the likelihood of a suit.  If the photo in question required a model release, that might up the likelihood of a suit.  There are certainly lots of details like these that might up the likelihood of a suit.

The best thing you could do is learn as much as you can about the situation from others who have been through it.  This site is full of that kind of stuff.  The more you understand, the better you can gauge the likelihood in your specific case, and come to a sound judgement.

There is no substitute for getting educated.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: LCS, Gallery Stock
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:28:22 PM »
This is Getty images License Compliance Services probably via Pic-Scout.  Like Stinger said with out know the details it's had to say but the odd are 99% they won't over a single image. 

If you have communicated with them be prepared for 3 years of letters and threats.  Expect to see something from McCormack Legal at some point too.  Read the forums and educate yourself and then I think your mind will be at ease.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.