Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Chilling Effects: New Tool To Report C&D letters.  (Read 5424 times)

lucia

• View Profile
Chilling Effects: New Tool To Report C&D letters.
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:28:55 AM »
My hosting service was recently sent a DMCA take down notice for my blog. I won't go into the details here, but while formulating responses, I discovered a useful new tool for responding to take down notices or cease and desist letters.  That is: Submit them to Chilling Effects so that the existence of these letters enters a public record. Specifically: the information will become available in a searchable database so others could search for similar letters.  You can also enter your responses to the letters.

This is what you do when you receive a DMCA takedown, or Cease and Desist letter.

1) Collect together your information so it is handy.
2) If you received a C&D or DMCA letter visit: http://www.chillingeffects.org/input.cgi
3) Read the categories, select the appropriate one and click. In this instance, my hosting company (Dreamhost) had been sent a DMCA takedown notice.  I chose
" I was told that my ISP had recevied a "DMCA takedown notice."
and clicked " submit C&D in topic DMCA Safe Harbor" which sent me to http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/submit.cgi?TriggerID=15  One should click whatever is appropriate in their case. (For example, if you received a Demand letter from Getty, pick "submit C&D in topic Copyright" 
4) A form appeared.  I entered details about the person who claimed copyright and made a demand under "Information about the Sender of the C&D Notice: "  (For you this could be Getty Images, or BWP or such like.)   Even though the notice was sent to my ISP (i.e. web host) I entered details about myself under Information about the Recipient of the C&D Notice:  After all, I am the one being asked to desist.  In C&D Notice Body , I entered the text of the letter the person claiming copyright sent my ISP.  (BTW: I asked them to send me the letter she wrote and the attachments. They initially sent me their form letter telling me she had sent them a letter and instructing me with how I am to complay and my rights under the act. So you may need to ask them to send you the appropriate letter, and all attachments.)
5) I clicked to "submit".  When this was done, a second form appeared asking me to provide additional informaiton I might have. I did so and clicked. Prior to clicking, I also read that entire 2nd page.  I noted that I had been assigned an "ID number" which was, in my case NoticeID 1532105.  I also noticed that that page suggested I could submit attachments by sending email to "notices@chillingeffects.org" using the subject line 'NoticeID xxxxxx'. (One would use the ID number that is appropriate for their submission. 
6) After clicking, the page told me "Thank you for submitting your cease and desist notice to the Chilling Effects database. It has been given NoticeID 1532105. Please refer to this identifier in follow-up communication, for more rapid identification. Your notice is now in the submission queue. It will be made visible to the public after it is approved and verified by an administrator. "  I noted the number for future reference. 

I'm now waiting for my notice to go live! 

When the time comes, I will also submit the response I sent to the DMCA and I plan to blog as Chilling Effects encourages that.  I don't know how much back and forth they permit one to enter.  But if a lot is permitted, it might be useful for people to scan their Getty Images letters, enter at Chilling Effects and also enter response to Getty, and if possible enter any follow on correspondence. Because the database is searchable, and the entries can be linked and displayed, this could potentially be a very useful tool to help the public better understand what is going on with these letters.

#chilling effects, #DMCA takedown. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:36:37 AM by lucia »

JLorimer

• View Profile
Re: Chilling Effects: New Tool To Report C&D letters.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »
Lucia, this is great information.  I will log the DMCA I received.  I have contact with a number of other BWP/Sanders/Copyright Defense League recipients who are not members here despite my promotion.  I'll try to convince them to log theirs as well.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
That's a good idea. It would make the letters visible. (That said, I had more success searching yesterday than today. I may need to master their search tool.)

Visibility should be useful for everyone. Those parties whose takedowns are reasonable should welcome it. Those who receive unreasonable ones should welcome it. And third parties should welcome knowing how often these sorts of things are filed.  There is very little downside.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »
Good find Lucia!  I will check it out.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
just for shits and giggles, you can also look at/search takedown requests that google recieves..

https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/

a mere 24+million for the last month..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »
Of course some of those are totally valid, and some are not valid.  That's just the number filed!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.