Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: email from Leslie Burns  (Read 15046 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: email from Leslie Burns
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »
Technically, I think you are correct on all counts. Almost anyone can pursue any course of action if they are simply determined enough to do it and spend all the resources necessary to make it happen. But the question is.... will they?  Would it be profitable?  Generally speaking, only up to a certain point from my clearly anecdotal point of view.

On account of treaties such as WIPO and the preceding Berne Convention, it doesn't matter where you live with respect to where the copyright holder lives: all they need to do is retain counsel in *your* country to bring initiate a legal claim and/or file an action with the courts. On that note, a lawyer in any state can contact you to make a claim on that person's behalf but, if they actually want to take you to court, they have to do so in a relevant jurisdiction i.e. one where you have either personal residence or business interests. Out-of-state lawyers often partner with in-state lawyers, or they can obtain pro hac vice admissions if the particular state allows it.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.