Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Is this a Defense???  (Read 3647 times)

ECA317

• View Profile
Is this a Defense???
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
One of the reasons I refuse to give in to the ridiculous demands of Getty is that they have lost a lawsuit brought by a photographer because they distributed his photographs without his permission.

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/23/daniel-morel-awarded-1-2m-damages-law-suit-afp-getty-images/

Because of this situation I would think that Getty would need to provide proof that they owned the rights to image at the time of the supposed infringement.  Would this seem reasonable in court?

Also, is anyone aware of any other lawsuits similar to the Daniel Morel case??  If so please post.

ECA317

• View Profile
Re: Is this a Defense???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Is this a Defense???
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »
The Morel case is an exceptional out of the norm case. Getty was clearly on the defense there.  It's funny to watch them make the same arguments that their victims make when they are on the receiving end of a lawsuit.

Getty generally doesn't sue.  But once in a while they will make a "show of force" and file a few lawsuits to scare the ignorant.

A lot has been discussed on Getty here in these forums. You just need to put in the time and read several of the threads to get educated for what is truly going on and the defenses.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.