Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Feedback Request: Should We Launch a Facebook Page for ELI?  (Read 6161 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Feedback Request: Should We Launch a Facebook Page for ELI?
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:25:18 AM »
I need feedback from the ELI community.

Should we launch a Facebook Page for the ELI community?  Or is this forum enough for us to stay connected?

In 2008, I did not launch a Facebook Page because I did not think it would be a good move.  First, I wasn't a big Facebook user. Two, back then it seemed that you could see everyone's name and identity. But now, Facebook has done a better job in protecting people's identity of Facebook pages you "like".

On a personal level, Oscar and I do have Facebook pages and it has been helpful to us maintaining relationships with our friends and business associates.

Personally, I have grown to like Facebook and there is a limit to how far we can stay connected using this forum. But for many of you, perhaps you like it that way.  I just don't know.

I would like to launch an ELI Facebook page but if you guys like it here on the forums, it might be pointless. However, there are things I can do in Facebook very quickly that I cannot easily do here like sharing articles, links, videos, etc.

I have no intentions of shutting down this forum. However, my thinking is that there is a growing group of people who want options.  For example, we do have a Twitter account but that is not currently the place to go to get the best, latest, greatest information.

Please let me know what you think about the whole Facebook Page thing for ELI.

Matthew Chan
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

JPicker

• View Profile
Re: Feedback Request: Should We Launch a Facebook Page for ELI?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
I think you have everything covered here Matthew - and your time is already taxed in maintaining this site.
Further you have this site indexed very well in all the major search engines. Having a face book page, seems totally redundant, un-necessary, and, you'd just be making more work for yourself. My $0.02 only.

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
I mostly agree with JPicker.  However, I do think you would reach more people with Facebook.  Maybe you could just add a Facebook "Like" button to this website?  That would get your content exposed to friends of us here I think.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
@JPicker - LOL! Believe me I am not trying to create more work for myself here but the fact is that Facebook is actually more part of my routine than coming to ELI. There are times I flat out don't want to be on these forums and aren't. Thankfully, Oscar steps in during those times. Also, whether I want to or not, Facebook marketing and presence is becoming mandatory. Having said that, our community here (where most readers are silent) might be content. Also, if I were to launch a Facebook Page, it would not try to replicate every discussion here. It would have its own life and energy.

@Lettered - I think I like your idea of adding a "Like"Button. I thought about it for the individual messages itself but not for the website.  I will look into it.

Keep the comments coming. Thanks.

Matthew
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:58:16 AM »
Greetings,
actually there is a group on FB, which I did not create or start, but have been adopted to the admin..I think the creator bailed and I was the second person to join the group, hence I'm the "leader" I have done anything with just a couple of post back in Oct. 09, feel free to join the group Matthew and I'll gladly make you the admin if you wish, or I would be willing to remain admin and police the posts, which would be less work for you..

::EDIT:: I have tracked down the creator of the group ( we are both admins) and have asked him if he is still interested in the group or possibly taking the group to a new level with my assistance. Matt: I know you've got like 14 plates full of various things,I haqve some time to dedicate to the cause.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:11:21 PM »
Buddhapi,

I know about that page. I was invited to participate and I declined at that time because I wanted to focus my efforts on this website.  There is a difference between a Facebook Group vs. a Facebook Page but I don't yet know all the specific nuances. Certainly, Oscar and I don't have a monopoly on this subject and anyone can get into the game to join the cause however they see fit.

My specific interest is extending the reach of ELI into Facebook, but how specifically, I am not sure yet.  Like you said, it isn't like I don't have anything else to do.

Matthew

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »
I agree with the crew that this forum is really more expansive and informative than an FB page could ever be. The topics are well categorized, its easy to post lengthy comments, etc. And look how we have not been able to really take advantage of Twitter just because of sheer time constraints. I mean here it is 11pm and I'm on here posting. I do like the "like" button idea as a start.  I leave the social media aspect of this to you Matt but we can talk about it next week and see what we come up with

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
Here's another thought / idea which I will look into..there may be a way to tie this eli site into a platform called "networked blogs" ( not sure if it will work because of the forum format) anyway I have a blog using this and essentially anytime I post to my blog, if feeds the FB group page I have set-up, which in turns feeds my twitter account.. a great time saver. I can't speak of FB pages as mine was set-up way back when they were called fan pages, I know they've made significant changes since then.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
The biggest reason why I would set up the Facebook Page is that (based on my research) FB Pages are Google-indexed to a higher degree than FB Groups.  Also, it gives ELI even higher credibility given that there is an "official FB page".

What will likely happen is that instead of verbose discussions on the FB page that we will simply have occasional pointers to important discussions. But who knows how the FB community will respond?

ELI has a twitter account but aside from a few announcements, it is simply something that Oscar and I have not been drawn to.  The problem with Twitter is that it is TOO active for my tastes. Yes, I know I can set up TweetDeck or HootSuite but that would be just one more thing to do.

I have decided I am willing to make ELI resources easy to be found but we are not providing service on a silver-platter to every single platform available. People have to be willing to care enough about themselves and their issues to make an effort.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 06:14:21 AM »
We have launched the Official ELI Facebook Page. It is a little naked right now but it is up for Facebook users to join.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ExtortionLetterInfo-Reporting-on-Getty-Images-Settlement-Demand-Letters/168381253215632

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.