Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Getty and NCS Changing Strategy?  (Read 5507 times)

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Getty and NCS Changing Strategy?
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:24:14 PM »
Dear Readers:

Just wanted to give you some news from the frontlines on this ongoing Copyright Battle with Getty Images and their "collection agency" NCS.

Our letter campaign was begun about 7-8 weeks ago and we now have been retained by over 30 small businesses and not-for-profits. I can tell you that the number of "contacts" and "questions" are in the several hundred from all over the world - the UK, Australia (almost daily), The British Channel Islands, Belgium, Germany, Finland and almost every state in the United States. It has been very heartwarming for us to see how this site has helped give people some direction and courage that they are not facing this issue alone. Even those who have not retained my firm tell me they have been helped by the information we have presented.  That is great and we will keep this up and keep everyone posted.

While Getty has not responded to the letters, NCS has. Their response frankly has been very professional, non-antagonistic and business-like.  While they are willing to negotiate the amounts demanded, they would not accept my premise that Getty should only be entitled to actual damages of $49 per image. They have referred those cases back to Getty. We await to hear from the mothership.

What is interesting is that I have seen a visible change in the way Getty and NCS are handling these claims since we began.  NCS used to send letters and notices stating that they were a collection agency attempting to collect a debt and threatening to put people "into collection" Now the letters state that it is a "settlement demand" and an "attempt to resolve a claim." Already, this language will make people more relaxed than the "into collection"  language they used to employ.  I have to believe this change came about after they read my post on the topic on this site and having seen this issue addressed in my letters to them.  Who care why they changed ,its just great that they are taking a softer,more correct approach.    

Getty too has changed its position since our little website got up and running.  In response to an email sent by a reader of this post about copyright registration Chloe from Getty stated as follows:

[While copyright registration is a prerequisite to bringing an infringement action in court, we typically try to settle these matters without litigation and therefore do not make a practice of pre-registering our copyrights (although we do so in some instances). Copyright registration is also a prerequisite to seeking statutory damages in court, but we are simply seeking our actual damages and registration is not required to do this.]

Here Getty is making two huge admissions: (1) that they do not have a registered copyright for most of the images (in fact I think its closer to none) and (2) they are not seeking statutory damages!! That means no attorney's fees! Actual damages are all they can get.  We would have a strong argument that $49 per image is their actual damages.  

Finally, another reader of this site posted about a contact they had with a Getty employee in Chicago. According to the poster, this employee admitted that the $1,000 - $1,200 per image they are claiming is an arbitrary figure generated by a computer program and not a statement of their actual damages.  As anyone who has listened to the recorded interview on this website knows, we predicted this was the case many months ago.

So it is clear that we are in our on small way impacting Getty's campaign. It is critical that we keep track of all these changes in strategy  from Getty and NCS.  It may soon be time for affirmative litigation against Getty and NCS for their practices.

worried_c

• View Profile
Re: Getty and NCS Changing Strategy?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 05:35:52 AM »
Thats certainly good news.

Chris

BSM

• View Profile
Re: Getty and NCS Changing Strategy?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »
I knew they had no (c) cause even before I contacted you Oscar I asked them for one and they told me they do not need to show proof... Ummm if someone was using my image that was (c) I would show it to say hey look I do own it or am the license holder. So I guess its the old saying do as we say not as we do since they apparently are stealing other peoples work and making money off it... This is going to help big time if the class action take place... I hope it does for all the stress these crooks are causing world wide... Now with the lawsuit by their own photographers it also proofs they have no clue what they are doing when it comes to (c) law and their claims are without merit..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.