Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Getty Images files two more lawsuits in 2016  (Read 9581 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Getty Images files two more lawsuits in 2016
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:49:16 AM »
We haven't had a chance to pull up the complaints in these cases but it looks like Getty Images wants to make an example out of a couple of cases here.

Getty Images US, Inc. v. LTS - Legal Technology Staffing, LLC
Plaintiff: Getty Images US, Inc.
Defendant: LTS - Legal Technology Staffing, LLC
Case Number: 2:2016cv07120
Filed: September 22, 2016
Court: California Central District Court
Presiding Judge: Michael W. Fitzgerald
Referring Judge: Alexander F. MacKinnon

This case below is interesting because there appears to be counter-suit which is something we don't see often.

Getty Images (US) Inc v. J & J Cleaning Company Inc
Plaintiff: Getty Images (US) Inc
Defendant: J & J Cleaning Company Inc
Counter_claimant: J & J Cleaning Company Inc
Counter_defendant: Getty Images (US) Inc
Case Number: 4:2016cv00555
Filed: August 1, 2016
Court: Arkansas Eastern District Court
Office: Little Rock Office
Presiding Judge: Brian S. Miller
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Libertas

• View Profile
Re: Getty Images files two more lawsuits in 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »
Interesting!

I wonder how large these companies are and the number of images used.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:27:01 PM »
I know a lot about the J&J Cleaning case and the business owner. It is an interesting case study for people to learn from. I will share more information when I have more time to write.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Libertas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
Yeah, I would be interested in hearing some of the details if you have the time. Thanks.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 02:20:28 AM »
The story of Getty Images vs. J&J Cleaning has been posted here.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/the-interesting-case-of-getty-images-v-jj-cleaning-co-(rhon-johnson)/

Yeah, I would be interested in hearing some of the details if you have the time. Thanks.

Mojo88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 10:26:31 AM »
We haven't had a chance to pull up the complaints in these cases but it looks like Getty Images wants to make an example out of a couple of cases here......

Any idea how many cases actually end up with a lawsuit filed by Getty?

I've retained Oscar to help with my EL from Getty and Oscar seems convinced Getty is going to file to sue my company. I refuse to settle, so they might indeed sue. I'm not too distraught as I was close to closing the company anyway, it has virtually no assets or income. I had a web site designed 12 years ago by someone who is no longer available, so the images may have been perfectly legal all along. Out of ignorance, I may have violated a technicality by not getting the licensing from the web designer, but it seems like the only 'crime' around here is that Getty can sue me.

Libertas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
Mojo88,

I am dealing with a similar case myself, so you're not alone. If you don't mind me asking, how many images and what is their settlement offer?

In my case, it was for one image but they are asking $2500 to settle. It was an image that was on a template page that was inadvertently left public. I have a feeling the new lawsuits are to add some teeth to their LCS operating model.

Mojo88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 10:34:50 AM »
Mojo88,

I am dealing with a similar case myself, so you're not alone. If you don't mind me asking, how many images and what is their settlement offer?

In my case, it was for one image but they are asking $2500 to settle. It was an image that was on a template page that was inadvertently left public. I have a feeling the new lawsuits are to add some teeth to their LCS operating model.

There is a total of nine images, but most of them are just small snippets that the web designer culled from larger images. Getty is demanding $5,590. Oscar recommended offering $3,500 and then maybe settling at $5,000.

If I (or anyone at my company) had actually downloaded and used the images, then I'd pay. But I hired a web designer and they are the ones that should be liable, in my opinion. Of course, the truly frustrating thing is that the images may indeed be properly licensed, but since I cannot get hold of the web designer I have no proof thus I am assumed 'guilty' just because I displayed the images on my site. The law does not seem fair at all to me. In fact, it almost seems like the law was written so that they (companies like Getty) could run around and 'legally' extort millions of dollars from hapless victims.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:59:38 AM by Mojo88 »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 01:06:40 PM »
Getty will most likely NOT sue over a single image, it's not worth the hassle for what they may "win"....9 images different story
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 03:10:19 PM »
They did not sue me over 50 images.  Many people, even on this board, thought they would.

Here is my story.  I hope it helps you.  http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/what-you-can-learn-from-my-3-year-battle-with-getty-and-mccormack-ip-law/

Mojo88

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »
They did not sue me over 50 images.  Many people, even on this board, thought they would.

Here is my story.  I hope it helps you.  http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/what-you-can-learn-from-my-3-year-battle-with-getty-and-mccormack-ip-law/

Helluva story. Nice work!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 10:20:58 PM »

You're a special case.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »
You're a special case.

Not sure I understand why - unless that was snark.

In my mind, their behavior changed each time I showed them I would not be easy prey.  In those days, at least, they acted like the school yard bully.  When someone stood up to them, they went off in search of easier marks.  My two cents.  It could be obsolete, as it has been a few years.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 09:38:21 AM »
me snarky?? really??
Actually it was kinda both, you are "special" in many ways...but your "case" was a good example of someone having balls and a spine to stand up to these asswipes... Which in my book makes you extra special...the fact that you're a Black hawks fan, makes you special on a different level.
#NYR

Robert Krausankas

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 11:28:24 AM »
Totally agree that they seem to back down on people who are willing to stand up for themselves and won't be intimidated. Like Rhon Johnson's case, I made no bones about my willingness to go to Federal Court even if I had to do it myself and muddle my way through it.

If anyone needs a takeaway from the ELI Community, success comes a lot from having some backbone and the right punchback attitude.

The "nicest" and most cooperative people are the ones who pay the most.

In my mind, their behavior changed each time I showed them I would not be easy prey.  In those days, at least, they acted like the school yard bully.  When someone stood up to them, they went off in search of easier marks.  My two cents.  It could be obsolete, as it has been a few years.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.