Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Getty Images Sued for Patent Infringement  (Read 4056 times)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Getty Images Sued for Patent Infringement
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
I was cruising around in PACER this evening when I noticed this lawsuit filed against Getty Images on December 10, 2013 for patent infringement. I have not seen this covered anywhere else so my apologies if it is already been done but it seems that Uniloc USA, Inc. alleges Getty Images used their patented software which is “generally directed to an integrated rights management and licensing system for storing, researching, buying and selling intellectual property”

Read fully story here:

http://gettyimagesmustchange.com/site/getty-images-sued-for-patent-infringement/
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: Getty Images Sued for Patent Infringement
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Greg. I love it when the karma train swings back around on organizations that make their money through intimidation. Win or loose, this will cost Getty.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
I agree with Jerry that karma is a real bitch.  There is no question that Klein and his upper management team that runs Getty has poisoned the entire company and made so many enemies to the point they probably feel like they are being attacked from all sides.

As far as I am concerned, Getty can become a dinosaur and become extinct.  The only way Getty Images can be salvaged is to do house-cleaning of upper management and get another management team that has a whole new vision.

They can never be the company they once were.  They have to become something very different.  Their portfolio of stock photography and stock photography businesses are depreciating assets.

As big media continues to downsize, fragmented, and be wittled down, the bread and butter of Getty's exorbitant licensing prices will eventually drop and perhaps even dry up.  When that happens, the collapse of Getty Images will be swift.

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
While punishing Getty sounds pleasing to these ears, the real pleasure will come when Timmy has to find a job.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
While punishing Getty sounds pleasing to these ears, the real pleasure will come when Timmy has to find a job.

one has to be "hire-able" first..just sayin
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.