Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Google Images - usage rights >> Labelled for reuse with modification  (Read 5072 times)

confusedinUSA

• View Profile
Hello - been a reader before and also had a fight with Masterf*ck and won several years back.  Have a new web designer that states the following - Am i just asking for trouble????

"On images there are 2 tricks to get free images. One is use google images >> tools >> usage rights >> Labelled for reuse with modification

Here is a sample on the keyword string: security computer
https://www.google.com/search?q=security+computer&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=sur:fmc&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw1sT-65HWAhVD7SYKHUexC50QpwUIHw&biw=1600&bih=770&dpr=1

By doing this we can use any picture seen and do what we want with it  for any terms searched. You can also do the same exact trick on flickr.com for more free pictures with no out of cost money besides time. I usually go in and grab decent shots for all my clients and how I did each page header on www.websiteremoved.com"

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: Google Images - usage rights >> Labelled for reuse with modification
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:51:14 PM »
No. That's a bad idea. Google does not offer “licenses”, it just filters images by the “labels” it claims to have found along with any images. This does not grant you the actual right to use the images. I have found ton's of images that are labeled as free to use by Google, but actually require attribution and a share-alike policy. (That means you also have to share whatever you are using under the same free terms.) There are also many pages that mix public domain or free to use images with licensed images and Google being automated, could easily mis-categorize these images. 

I did spend some time and broke down many sites that offer free and public domain images and under what circumstances. Check out my post at: http://motioncity.com/news/free-and-public-domain-photo-and-image-providers
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Google Images - usage rights >> Labelled for reuse with modification
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:53:48 PM »
as jerry says, this is a bad idea.. either create your own images, or properly purchase licenses...it's the cost of doing business.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.