Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got 3rd Getty Letter Now I'm Not Sure  (Read 18497 times)

CowgirlCaz

• View Profile
Got 3rd Getty Letter Now I'm Not Sure
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »
Hi everyone. First I wish to thank you all for the great information that's been constantly provided here in these forum boards. It has not only educated me quite a bit about these Getty extortion letters, but has - on and off (admittedly lol) stopped the panic and fear within me.

I was just perhaps looking for a bit of input here ... I know you may not be able to say much as I live in Canada - but as the saying goes you won't know unless you try.

So I've followed the advice here and asked for proof of ownership for the 1 image that they say they found on my website (unfortunately it was so - I had my website initially created by someone else - of whom is now deceased - however it was a placeholder so I could use my OWN images - which I have done a number of months ago - therefore there are no images on my web server that are not of my own creation). I also requested explanations on how they come to their amount requested.

Of course they refused to give me the proof that I requested but did "explain" the amount being asked. However I notice that within their letter, they're actually not claiming to have ownership rights to the 1 image. Here is what they state:
"The settlement demand we have presented covers more than the cost of lost licensing, alone. A portion of this demand is also a reflection of our administrative costs related to research, policing and our handling of matters such as this. The presented settlement demand is significantly less than what we would expect to recover if this case went to court, but it is in our intentions to resolve this matter before such progression becomes necessary.To clarify our position, Getty Images represents the photographer who owns the copyright in the imagery. This representation includes the privilege to license their intellectual property and the obligation to protect it from unauthorized use, known as copyright infringement. Rights Managed images, such as the one at issue, are exclusive to Getty Images and available for license only through our website.The requested proof that we represent the copyright owner would be made apparent through discovery, should the matter reach the court. We have chosen to try to quickly close unauthorized use cases such as this by avoiding the burden and cost of litigation. As you know, registration is not required with respect to settlement, especially when the damages we seek are based on what Getty Images and its represented photographer have been injured as a result of unauthorized use and now seeks to be made whole. These damages are calculated by the lost licensing fees, including our costs of enforcement. Had you not infringed on our represented photographer’s copyrights, we would not be attempting to recover these fees and the added efforts to pursue this unauthorized use matter. You can confirm that this image is represented by Getty Images by going to www.gettyimages.com and entering the image number. Getty Images is unable to provide further evidence at this time. Absent proof of a valid web license, the balance on the settlement demand presented remains due. The terms of this settlement offer shall be kept confidential, except as may be required by law. Getty Images expressly reserves all rights and remedies available under copyright law. "

Initially they were asking for a whopping $870 for the image - however they dropped it down to $625 ... and of course I have to keep that all "confidential." They've given me til August 31th to pay ... all of that ... in one lump sum of course.

They definitely don't listen to the fact that I don't even make $600 a month - I've tried to tell them that you just can't get blood out of a rock. I did offer them a settlement of what I saw on their site - I used the quote tool for the image and I quoted myself at $210 for a license. And given I don't make much money in a month I likewise requested more time in order to even get that. In this 3rd letter they refused and say that the lowered amount of $625 stands and remains due (I didn't include that in my copy and pasting lol).

So at this point I'm at a loss on what to do next and what to even expect ... especially when they're actually not claiming ownership over the image? All I know is that I most certainly cannot pay that amount ... and for 1 picture - of which I myself didn't even post on the site.

Any thoughts or input would be so greatly appreciated. I'm starting to enter panic mode again - and for a person with anxiety issues as is ... not a good thing.

Thanks so much in advance for hearing this lady's frantic rantings ... and offering any guidance, advice.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Got 3rd Getty Letter Now I'm Not Sure
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »
They won't sue over 1 image. You make one "reasonable" offer to pay. If they don't accept, you tell them you are walking away.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:11:49 AM »
I concur with Matthew, you make an offer that is fair but I would also demand them to provide proof before paying. In one of my letters I told them:

Whether you choose to accept my offer or not I do require that you provide all of the documentation requested providing proof of copyright, contract and sales history. No monies will be paid without full and complete documentation.

Full letter may be found here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/103914489/1-3-Letter-to-Getty-04-25-12-Redacted

especially in your financial situation I personally would not give them a penny or continue negotiations without proof of claim. Getty has a history of not having their images registered, registered properly or other issues which negate their ability to sue. A classic case is Getty v Advernet were Getty sued over 35 images and won the case by default yet received no monies as the court ruled there is problems with every single image so Getty could not collect any damages.

These are just my opinions and you must do what you feel is best for you and your situation and please keep us posted as to what you decide to do and what happens.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:50:31 AM »

S.G.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »
SG,

Great poster! We need to have an ELI Art Gallery at some point.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
Are you kidding Matt?  That poster should be in the ELI hall of fame.  It should be on the ELI masthead.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:12:46 AM by stinger »

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
That is awesome SG!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

mikejl46

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
Definitely needs to go on the home page of this website.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
Excellent work, S.G.!
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »
May i please have express written permission to use this image?? If not I'll just steal it, after all we are all thieves anyway..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »
Well done SG! When is the t-shirt going to be available?
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 04:33:35 PM »
I want a tee shirt, but I want my with BuddhaPi's face instead.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
Thanks guys... it was fun to make.
It's based on an old war poster...
...please enjoy and use as you wish...

S.G.

Peeved

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 08:57:33 PM »

That can be arranged......um Robert?
 ;D

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »

That can be arranged......um Robert?
 ;D

um.........NO....not until you come out with the rest of us
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.