Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Complaint with Washington ATG  (Read 3198 times)

bulldog1028

• View Profile
Complaint with Washington ATG
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »
So, I have reached out to the Washington ATG and these are the two responses Getty has provided.  I presume these are boilerplate.  My complaint to the Washington ATG is that Getty has yet to provide the information requested as proof, and continues to harass me.

Response #1
We are in receipt of the complaint regarding the referenced matter that you forwarded to us recently.

By way of introduction, Getty Images is a leading creator and distributor of digital content, including still and moving images.  We license thousands of images each day on our website, www.gettyimages.com.  Customers such as graphic designers, advertising agencies, and publishers license our imagery for a variety of purposes, including but not limited to print advertising, billboards, newspaper and magazine articles, brochures and websites.  Our license information is clearly available from each page of our website, and we do not permit the use of our imagery without a license.

Notwithstanding the license requirement, like other digital media companies, Getty Images does fall victim to individuals pirating its intellectual property.  To combat this, Getty Images uses both employees and digital image recognition software to locate entities that have used Getty Images’ imagery without paying a license fee.  We recently identified the Complainant as having used unlicensed imagery from our collections.

We sent the Complainant a letter with notification that we had found use of our imagery on their website; that we had been unable to locate a license for such use; that use of the imagery without a license constitutes copyright infringement; and that the Complainant must either: (i) provide evidence that a license was issued, or (ii) pay a fee for use of the imagery.  We included an internal case reference number and provided proof of use, showing our image and associated data, along with a screenshot of the image in use on the Complainant’s website.  We also asked the Complainant to contact us immediately if they believe they received our letter in error.  The unauthorized use fee is in line with what we would typically charge for a license under these circumstances.

Even if the Complainant has removed our imagery from their website, removal alone does not resolve this matter.  Our imagery is protected by copyright.  Getty Images either owns or is the exclusive licensor for the image(s) at issue. Copyright law holds responsible anyone who copies or publicly displays an image without authorization of the copyright holder.   Copyright infringement is based on strict liability, meaning that the act itself establishes liability and no intent is required.  Thus far the Complainant has failed to produce a valid license or raise any valid defense to copyright infringement.  The Complainant’s use of our imagery without a license constitutes copyright infringement, for which we are entitled to seek damages.

We understand that copyright law can be confusing; however, the campaign to file complaints against us is misguided and misdirected.  We encourage review of the license compliance information provided on our web site at: http://company.gettyimages.com/license-compliance/.  As noted above, Getty Images has acted appropriately and in good faith, and we are well within our legal rights to seek damages for unauthorized use of our images.

Should you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us.  We remain hopeful of reaching an amicable resolution to this matter.

Regards,

Getty Images – Copyright Compliance

Response #2
We have received the above Complainant’s response to our previous letter summarizing Getty Images’ claim for copyright infringement.

The Complainant states that Getty Images has not provided proof of copyright, but the Complainant appears to confuse copyright registration and copyright ownership.  Copyright exists the moment a work, including a photograph, is created.  Registration is optional and is not a requirement of copyright ownership.  Consequently, copyright registrations are not required of us to pursue infringements on behalf of our contributors.  While it would be necessary to provide these registrations in order to file suit, this is our attempt to settle any infringement without further action.

The Complainant questions whether Getty Images owns the copyright in the Image.  While confidentiality provisions prevent us from providing copies of our agreements with our photographers, Getty Images is the exclusive licensor of the Image, with the responsibility to protect our represented photographer’s intellectual property from unauthorized use.

We are not alleging that the Complainant owes a debt; we are alleging that the Complainant used intellectual property without authorization and therefore is liable for damages.  We are simply asking the Complainant to pay for the images used and the damage caused by not licensing the images in the first place. The unauthorized use fee is in line with what we would typically charge for a license under these circumstances.

We note that the Complainant has not addressed the legal issue of having displayed our imagery without authorization. We have provided screenshots and links showing proof of infringement.  Should you require any additional information about this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Getty Images – Copyright Compliance

Now what?  My next guess is to ignore everything from here on out until the McCormack letter comes?  This is getting old, fast.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Complaint with Washington ATG
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:28:29 AM »
Certainly keep this on file for future reference! when you get a letter from NCS Recovery, you can then re-address the Getty's answer...and the next question would be...If Getty says " We are not alleging that the Complainant owes a debt; ..." then why would you be hearing from a "collection agency"..

Once again as usual Getty is acting as judge and jury here, and basically stating that by giving you a screen shot, you are guilty... a screen shot is only proof that the image in question "appeared" on the site..It does not prove that the image was "copied", or if the images was hosted elsewhere. Further just because Getty "claims" to represent the artist doesn't make it fact..we've seen instances where Getty tries to extort money from images that were/are clearly in the public domain.

Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Complaint with Washington ATG
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:07:27 AM »
Welcome to the forums bulldog1028,

Yes these are typical boilerplateGetty Images responses. You can also write a follow-up letter to the Attorney General's office taking apart the issues with the Getty letter one by one. You can follow the process I used with my complaint letters which always included a follow-up letter after Gettys boilerplate response here:

http://www.scribd.com/collections/3777301/Complaint-letters-filed-against-Getty-Images

Also you are not limited to just the Attorney General's office I filed similar complaints with the Washington state Better Business Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission, the Ohio Attorney General's office (the state in which I live) and my Senator and Congressman.

Good luck and please keep us posted as to what happens.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.