Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got a letter from a "Photo Attorney" who is on Caroline Wrights team  (Read 24022 times)

shelly808

• View Profile
Re: Got a letter from a "Photo Attorney" who is on Caroline Wrights team
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
Aloha, Thanks so much for the advice.  I went to Pond5, and just dont see how it is different from CanStockphoto?? 

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 12:09:16 AM »
Honestly as far as I can tell ALL of these micro-stock companies write themselves a loop hole. Seems even they are not willing to accept responsibility and indemnify the end user.

However, if you are using an image someone claims to have exclusive rights to, it should help if you can show a license. Most legitimate companies will leave you alone and pursue the entity that sold you the license.

I say most because there have been several cases of photo attorneys hounding end users, despite being shown a receipt for a template or an invoice from another developer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:12:46 AM by Jerry Witt (mcfilms) »
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 07:34:02 PM »
Getty even offers you a separate "insurance policy" to protect you from the images they license to you. It's in an online brochure called "Be Sure of It" but seeing how ofter they are sued for infringing on others works I can see why they offer it.  ;)

Honestly as far as I can tell ALL of these micro-stock companies write themselves a loop hole. Seems even they are not willing to accept responsibility and indemnify the end user.

However, if you are using an image someone claims to have exclusive rights to, it should help if you can show a license. Most legitimate companies will leave you alone and pursue the entity that sold you the license.

I say most because there have been several cases of photo attorneys hounding end users, despite being shown a receipt for a template or an invoice from another developer.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
The problem is that digital images have been swapped, copied and placed into so many galleries that even the Big Boys often cannot be 100% certain that they have the exclusive right and use of the imagery.

DK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »
I got one yesterday from Tyra Hughley Smith Law via Tyra Hughley Smith demanding $3,000 in 10 days to settle out of court!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.