Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got a letter from Hughley Smith Law via Trya Hughley  (Read 8558 times)

DK

• View Profile
Got a letter from Hughley Smith Law via Trya Hughley
« on: November 10, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
Hello today I received a letter from Hughley Smith Law via Trya Hughley claiming a woman hired her and is demanding I send them $3,000 within 10 days to "settle out of court" over a copyright infringement they believe I'm guilty of. I showed the papers she sent to some people like the city clerks office, district attorney receptions (D.A. was in court) and they said the letterhead used was a bit fishy for a law firm, others said "a real lawyer would of sent a settlement agreement to be signed with this sketchy papers". Another person told me "they normally send a cease and desist order 1st demanding you remove anything copyrighted before they take action". Any have any info for me here?

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Got a letter from Hughley Smith Law via Trya Hughley
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
This whole forum is full of discussions of how to handle extortion letters. Please do yourself a favor and start reading. People aren't going to start from scratch to answer. From what I can tell, there isn't too much immediate worry about Hughley Smith operation. You got time to do some reading and get educated.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Ethan Seven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »
Their website is nice looking but a little sketchy.  If they are actually lawyers, you would not know it.  As far as I could see, they do not mention where they are licensed nor do they comply with the basic advertising rules that apply in most, if not all, states.   I could not find a mailing address.
Even if I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer.  Copyright matters can have serious consequences.  If you have assets worth protecting, consult a lawyer who is familiar with copyright law and who can review the facts of your case. If you cannot afford one, call your state or county bar association.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, Hughley Smith was briefly associated with PhotoAttorney for a short time. However, I saw little indication there is much substance or ammo behind the Hughley Smith operation. Having said that, it has been a while since I heard that name anywhere. For the moment, it is hard to get excited or worried about their letters.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
you remember correctly Matthew, Hughley was working for Carolyn Wright before she retired.. I think she was also a "personal shopper" or some such garbage..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.