Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got a letter too!  (Read 3439 times)

agentbondgirl

Got a letter too!
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
Hi all,

Well after 15+ years in graphic design I finally got a letter too. I have an ad posted on my personal portfolio with a "supposed" Getty image on it that was purchased about 10 years ago for the ad it appears in. It was legally obtained as I worked for a large agency that purchased Getty Images all the time. I wrote them and gave all the information regarding the purchase of the image, the approximate date and the company who purchased it. Their answer? "We have no record and licenses are only valid for 5 years" So I got the same deal as a ton of people here - $625 after a "reduction" to resolve the matter amicably. Thankfully I found this site and have gotten some excellent info. I also went looking for the image again and it is not available anywhere on their site nor available if I call a customer service agent. So following someone else's posting I did send back a letter requesting proof of their copyright, signed agreement with the artist, etc. I'm not sure now if I just sit back and wait to see what else they try to throw at me or what? I am a little nervous as I've never in my life had someone threaten me with legal action. Does anyone know if they've ever actually taken something of this nature to court and won? Thanks!

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Got a letter too!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
none of them have sued over 1 image, it's a scare tactic, if it's not on their site anymore, they probably do not represent the artist anymore...they won't "give" you anything or answer your questions, they'll just demand payment...Ass hats the whole lot of them!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Khan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
Do not be scared. Just read the forum. They will not do anything (just the usual crap).

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:43:56 PM »
If you don't have the stomach for endless BS from Getty and then more BS four times as absurd from their outside hired gun, the copyright trolling McCormack Law Firm, give consideration to Oscar's letter program.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.