Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got letter. Question about my response.  (Read 4131 times)

gimby

• View Profile
Got letter. Question about my response.
« on: March 23, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »
Hi,
   I am the owner of a very very small business, that has never turned a profit.  A couple years ago, I copied some pictures from various places on the internet, and pasted them into my web page.  They were probably only seen by a few dozen people, and I only had them up for maybe a year. I later changed the name of my business, and abandoned this webpage and the domain name.  On my new website, I don't use any images other than those I take myself, which is a good approach for any small business owners out there who are reading this.

Anyway, a couple months AFTER I took the pictures down from this now-defunct webpage, I got the Getty letter in regards to 1 image, asking for $750.  I ignored it.  This was probably two years ago. They sent me another letter, and then I got another letter from their collection agency, which has now also emailed me.  So I guess it is time to respond?

A couple questions: First) Today, I did some searching and found the offensive image in the Getty images library. So, is there any point in my asking for proof of copywrite ownership, or is this pretty much a settled matter, in their favor?

Second, the image I used was not much bigger than a thumbnail.  Should this be relevant if I try to settle with them.  Is the fact that I have never made a profit relevant?  How about the fact that this webpage hasn't existed for well over a year?

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:23:36 PM by gimby »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Got letter. Question about my response.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »
as an fyi, the statute of limitations is 3 years from the date they discovered the image, if you got the first letter 2 years ago, you're well on your way to the end of this..at this point if it were me I would probably not respond and wait it out..but that is a decision only you can make.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

rock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »
Getty images have never filed a lawsuit over a single image, so it's unlikely that anything would ever come of this.

The collection agency can't do anything, as this is NOT a debt.  Furthermore, they must stop contacting you if you tell them to do so.
With Getty Images, it's rather pointless to inquire as to whether or not they own the copyright.

They usually don't hold the actual copyrights, and will call your bluff by saying that they don't have to send you proof unless it goes to court.

Again, it's unlikely to ever come to anything.

S.G.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:47:04 PM by SoylentGreen »

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »
Take a look at some of the videos and forum posts that discuss the Getty claim in general. 

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.