Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got My Getty Letter - Thank You For This Site  (Read 26755 times)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Got My Getty Letter - Thank You For This Site
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »
Agreed, I don't want to cause anyone else any problems, I do like the idea of a giant turd though.  If I photo shopped an image of the Getty building is that infringement or parody? Just kidding.  :)

The less that you say, the better from this point on.
The person that you refer to could have licensed the image from Getty.
All these letters that people want to write aren't always such a good idea.
Let's just hope that a giant turd falls from the sky one day and crushes Getty.

S.G.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »
Agreed, I don't want to cause anyone else any problems, I do like the idea of a giant turd though.  If I photo shopped an image of the Getty building is that infringement or parody? Just kidding.  :)

Unfortunately I have learned about this the hard way and I thought I had gone out of my way to avoid using copyrighted material.  I only had a few pictures that were not mine and I have removed them all just to be safe and now only use pictures that I have taken.

On the lighter side, since Getty took a screenshot of my website which includes a copyright notice at the bottom of the page can I go after them for infringement?   The image I used appeared to be free and public domain but my page is clearly copyrighted. 

Agrred, they could have licensed it from Getty, or they may have done exactly what you did, grabbed it from another site, that may have licensed it, which makes 2 infringements..and if i wanted to play devils' advocate I could say for example that the image you used doestn't belong to getty, and you used it, it's still infringement somewhere..copyright is created upon the time the image is created.. I see so many fall into this, people say "well xxx company gave me permission to use it.." or "there was no watermark or cute little c symbol" "it did not say copyright in the google image search"..etc...bottom line if you did not create the image, someone somewhere owns it...
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
no you can't and i would not even mention this to them, they can turn it around on you, that not did you infringe, but you also claimed to own the copyright..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
@buddhapi

My apologies buddhapi, I realize this and was just being sarcastic and a smart-ass (not to be confused with an ass-hat)   :) .  I was referring to the rest of the page on my website that was photo captured not the image in question.   I had no intention of sending anything like that to Getty.   I feel very strongly about what Getty is doing as everyone affected by these extortion demand letters does and I tend to say what I feel.  If I do it in the future I will try to word it better so it comes across clear that I am just trying to point out how silly I feel some of the things Getty does are.  I appreciate all the advice you and the others give that help us new to this form making what could be a serious mistake  as this would have been if I had intended to do and I certainly do not want to give any other new people the wrong idea of what to send to Getty.  Again, sorry for not being clear on my intent.

no you can't and i would not even mention this to them, they can turn it around on you, that not did you infringe, but you also claimed to own the copyright..

--Greg Troy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
no worries! That question has been asked before, and being on a monitor, it's hard to see the sarcasm sometimes..  8)
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 07:02:53 PM »
Artist's conception of Getty and it's CEO being crushed by turd from above.
Use is legal under "parody" and "satire". lol.

S.G.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3762/gettyimagescopyrighttro.jpg
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:26:26 PM by Matthew Chan »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »
Bahhaaaaaaaaaaa

Reminds me of one of those cheesy 60's thriller movie posters

Robert Krausankas

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »
The God of Karma has been eating his fiber...

S.G.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »
That's great S.G. thanks, that made my day :)

--Greg Troy

doggycase

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
Any updates on your case KeepFighting for today? I would be very interested in following this and I'm so glad to be here in this forum.

Cheers!!!

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Welcome doggycase, I have been away for about a week with work and was just checking in to see what I have missed and give an update. I just received my response back from Getty on Friday, they still have not provided the information I have requested proving they have rights to the image, this message was short and sweet and said pay us or we will escalate this to our legal department. I will now escalate my case by sending complaint letters to the Washington State Attorney Generals office and my state Attorney Generals office.

I will fight Getty and the Trolls with everything at my disposal, I am not the easy prey they were hoping for and I will continue to fight them and all the copyright trolls.

Read the forums, most of what you need to know will be in there, educate yourself and ask questions.

Any updates on your case KeepFighting for today? I would be very interested in following this and I'm so glad to be here in this forum.

Cheers!!!

--Greg Troy

fryoneusa

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »
I know it's been a long while since your last posting on this.  I was just curious what has happened since and how it's going now?  I'm in the same position - at the same point you were - at this last posting.  Wondering what is ahead for me :)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
Quite a bit has happened and it comes down to Getty appears to have decided it to leave me alone.  Here is a thread that details what I did along with all the documents.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/an-experiment-against-getty/

There is quite a bit a reading but it may be worth it if you are wanting to fight this yourself. 

I know it's been a long while since your last posting on this.  I was just curious what has happened since and how it's going now?  I'm in the same position - at the same point you were - at this last posting.  Wondering what is ahead for me :)

--Greg Troy

Mr. Toad

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm the latest to receive a letter and have spent the last couple of days educating myself for this wild ride.  Thanks for all the great documentation Greg.  I just mailed my first response letter using yours as an example.

I'm a small business owner who, like you, used a photo which I thought I was free.  And now, I'm in the Getty Images racket.  I'm also going to write letters to the folks at Washington BBB, State Attorney, etc., as you have done.  I hope it gets us closer to the tipping point.

Thanks again, for all of the hard work.  It's greatly appreciated.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
Loved you in  The Wind in the Willows BTW

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.