Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Has pixsy ever taken serious legal action?  (Read 10450 times)

PoeNedge

• View Profile
Has pixsy ever taken serious legal action?
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:35:13 PM »
Hi, I've been reading around about these copyright trolls but most of the posts are about Copytrack and Picrights. There's not much about Pixsy. Pixsy keeps sending me emails, and they have called once (didn't answer), threatening further legal action if I don't cough up the money ($750). The image is worth maybe $15. They sent an "evidence report" that shows a screenshot of the blog but it contains all broken photo links. Archive.org doesn't show the image being used on my blog (was taken down last year).

Since they have no evidence, how likely is it that Pixsy tries to sue?

Thanks

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Has pixsy ever taken serious legal action?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05:09:29 AM »
Pixsy themselves won't and can't sue unless they own the underlying copyrighted image. To my knowledge, they don't own any images whatsoever.

They represent their clients who own copyrighted images. Any lawsuits escalated to a lawyer to sue would be in the name of the clients.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Ethan Seven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
They, like CopyTrack, are a German company.  They only have a mailing address in the US.  My guess is there is nothing to worry about as they are not a law firm. 

If you post the name of the copyright holder, I will check Pacer and see if they ever sued anyone.
Even if I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer.  Copyright matters can have serious consequences.  If you have assets worth protecting, consult a lawyer who is familiar with copyright law and who can review the facts of your case. If you cannot afford one, call your state or county bar association.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 02:15:42 AM »
People can go check themselves without dealing with Pacer at http://dockets.justia.com.

And even if a "law firm" is involved, in many cases, there isn't much to worry about. It is the client, not the law firm, that says "yes or no" to going forward.  The toughest law firm can't do anything unless a photographer is willing to stick his name and neck out and take the risk he won't get some blow back or retaliatory actions. Sometimes there is even a countersuit which can be an unpleasant surprise for them to deal with.  The law firm won't be the ones suffering the consequences or have their reputations scarred online if they encounter a particularly upset victim.

They, like CopyTrack, are a German company.  They only have a mailing address in the US.  My guess is there is nothing to worry about as they are not a law firm. 

If you post the name of the copyright holder, I will check Pacer and see if they ever sued anyone.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

UnfairlyTargeted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »
Blowback is what EVERY one of these talentless hack "photographers" needs.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.