Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: I have 2 questions for everyone  (Read 6072 times)

Mr. K

• View Profile
I have 2 questions for everyone
« on: December 30, 2011, 02:06:54 PM »
Hello Fellow Getty Letter Receivers,

I am on my 3rd demand letter at $875.  Same situation here.  Built a site and made a point to not take any images off the internet that had a water mark or any sign of copy right issues.  So, much for that. 

I pulled the one pic from my site 1 day after receiving the letter.

I googled Getty Images and found out I was not alone.

Q #1 Is anyone just paying the demand amount?

Q #2 Has anyone in the USA actually been taken into court?

Thanks for building this site.  I have been doing alot of reading.  I see where people are saying "no" don't pay we are a united front.  So, figured I would ask those two simple questions.

Thanks and Happy New Year :)

K

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: I have 2 questions for everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of people paying these demands, lest they would not be continuing to send out letters, it makes up a very large part of their revenue.

As far as we know, no one has been brought to court over 1 or 2 images at this time. naturally this can change at any time, but I find it unlikely as far as Getty is concerned.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:53:06 PM »
Bear in mind: Some people in the US have been sued by Getty. After all, the Advernet case where the judge did not give Getty money after the defendant defaulted was in the US.

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »
I believe the Advernet case involved something like 30+ images.

I've read every post on the forum and have no recollection of reading anything about Getty ever suing anyone for one image.

I'm sure lots of folks panic and pay as soon as they get the first letter from Getty Images, but I wasn't one of them. I just got thoroughly pissed off.

I'm currently in Getty limbo, waiting patiently for their next round of threats, which I will deal with joyfully. Unfortunately, they missed the most recent deadline I gave them for responding to me, so perhaps they've given up and are now standing mute.

I actually enjoy playing this game with the "Copyright Compliance Team" members, some of whom couldn't find their behinds with both hands, judging from the responses I've received via mail and phone.

Read the forum and the home page and you'll have plenty of material to craft your own replies to these people. Or send Oscar the $195 and get the whole mess out of your mind that way.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
I believe the Advernet case involved something like 30+ images.
Yes, but K's question was "Q #2 Has anyone in the USA actually been taken into court?"  The answer to this is that yes, they have taken people in the US to court. That said, they don't seem to have taken anyone to court over only 1 or 2 images. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:13:14 PM by lucia »

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:57:08 PM »
Advernet was indeed a unique situation as reading the complaint will show you. Getty has sued a handful of time since 2004/2005 when they started this. They have not sued in the last few years to my knowledge and certainly no one has ever reported that to our forum. All of the 5 or 6 lawsuits they filed involve around 30 images or more. To answer question #1 people do pay the demand amount or settle for a few dollars less and pay. I hear form them all the time after they find this site after having made payment

Mr. K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
Thanks to all that have given me some feed back to my post here. 

I for one thought, would they really push this all the way to court for 1 image?  It just seems hard to believe.  Yet, I guess they could hand all these little cases to a firm to handle for the commission of the collection amount.  People have worked for less I guess.

So, in the end history has shown us Getty is banking on the letters being sent regular mail as there collection process.

I will share with everyone as things progress.

Thanks again,
K

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
It is highly unlikely they will sue over one image for reasons that have been posted all over this forum countless times.  Keep us posted

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.