Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: I just have to share this!  (Read 2731 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
I just have to share this!
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
Greetings,
I'm not looking for advise, as unfortunately I'm already well versed with the GI situation. However I just wanted to share about a client of mine who finds herself in a pickle...

A suit was filed against my client for the unlawful use of a good majority of content on her site. Apparently she went and grabbed a bunch of articles and proceeded to use them. These articles presumably came from a source that sells said articles. Anyway they are suing her for 6k, and she fired off an email to them explaining "she was using the text as a placeholder" thus admitting guilt right out of the gate..So heres the real kicker..

When I developed her site we had a very long and detailed discussion on the proper use of images, she was made aware of ramifications if she so chose to use any images without a license agreement. She has well over 100 images on her site all of which came from google searches.. With this many images some if not all are sure to be GI, corbis or MF images. I have just had another long discussion with her stating that she should take the site offline immediately, or she may have a HUGE problem on her hands, she has flat out refused to do so, stating "I'll take my chances."

I have since fired of an email to her for her to sign and return absolving my company from any responsability. ( a bit overkill and not needed, but at least my side of the street is clean)...

Just goes to show that sometimes some people just can't see the forest thru the trees..so now I wait for the pickle to become a barrel of pickles..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: I just have to share this!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »
Well we cannot help folks who intentionally continue to infringe. Once you advised her, your obligation was met and she is on the hook for whatever happens afterwards. Nobody affiliated with this site condones infringement! We have stated that repeatedly. What we also do not condone is exaggerated claims of damages and intimidation tactics designed to make people overpay on their claims or which threaten lawsuits over minimal infringements when the person has agreed to immediately cease and desist in using the work. 

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.