Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: I thought Getty Images went away. Just got letter from attorney.  (Read 13824 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: I thought Getty Images went away. Just got letter from attorney.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 11:39:59 AM »
Nope you're not missing anything my point was that if your hoping they just go away..your hopes will be dashed, they will continue to harass you, whether you reply or not.. The chances of them picking you out of potentially 1000's of letter recipients, would be slim to none IF they decided to file suit..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

alfbell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
You would think this McCormack ghoul would be concerned about all the letters that GettyImages victims are sending to the bar associations, BBBs and gov representatives about his firm. Afraid that enough letters would hit to finally warrant an investigation threatening his reputation or license. I guess it's true that criminals aren't very smart.

Anyway... I'll just continue to respond to their letters in a polite, business-like manner, in order to confuse the issue and drag things out, until the 3 year statute of limitations is up. At that point I'll send them a final "eff you" letter informing them that my SOL is now up. 

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
Remember... bar associations are composed of lawyers looking out for fellow lawyers... just like medical associations are for doctors taking care of their own.

I'm a cynic so take this next comment in that light. In my opinion, the odds of a lawyer actually being sanctioned in a meaningful way by a bar association are, I'm sure, about the same as the odds that Getty will sue anyone over one thumbnail image: slim and none.

alfbell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
I hope that you are right.
I'll just continue along corresponding with them until my SOL runs out.
Anyone else using the same strategy?

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
No, you are right on the money.  But do not say you will do it unless you fully intend to write letters to everyone you tell them you are.  If you don't follow through they will think you were just trying to bluff them and will continue to harass you and may even step it up.

As for me, since I did my letter writing campaign I have not heard a peep from them in over a year now and doubt that I will.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

alfbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »
I'll just put as much time and delay between each letter as possible (by responding to a letter immediately upon receiving their next letter, and repeating that procedure regarding the newly received letter, until I can finally inform them that the statute of limitations is up). My latest letter warns that if they continue to accuse and harass me, I will write them up to the relevant authorities. And, I will do what I say. (I've already downloaded your letters... meaning Troy's letters... so that I have templates to work off of.) And, in my next letter they will get copies of the letters I've sent out to the authorities.

Mulligan's view on writing the attorney bar associations makes sense as they protect their own, except for egregious violations that they want to distance themselves from. Yet, letters to the FTC, BBBs, Attorney Generals, some big consumer advocate groups, and my own state representatives should have some impact.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 12:34:11 AM »
If you are going to file a complaint to the Washington, Idaho and Oregon State Bar Associations (where Mr. McCormack is licensed) you will have to word it properly for them to look into it.  Remember it needs to be approached properly.  The article I just posted that Matthew shared with me is from an IP attorney and makes great points as to what is wrong with the Getty letters, I would read this article carefully before sending off your letter. 

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/forget-about-patent-trolls-copyright-trolls-can-be-even-scarier/

You will have to give specific reasons for the complaint and if you can point to case law all the better, unlike the AG's office you can't just write a letter and say that you don't like what they are doing.

Also remember that if you are filing a Bar complaint, you are doing this because you believe what the lawyer who sent you the letter is doing is truly wrong, unethical  and/or illegal as Bar complaints can effect or end someone career.  I personally do believe that the way Mr, McCormack presents his letters is wrong and the way he and his client (Getty) deal with letter recipients is pushing the razors edge of legality and unethical so I would have no problem sending such a letter(s).  Don't send a Bar complaint if you are just mad, do it for the reasons I stated.

Please keep us posted on what you do and the results, I know I am very interested.

I'll just put as much time and delay between each letter as possible (by responding to a letter immediately upon receiving their next letter, and repeating that procedure regarding the newly received letter, until I can finally inform them that the statute of limitations is up). My latest letter warns that if they continue to accuse and harass me, I will write them up to the relevant authorities. And, I will do what I say. (I've already downloaded your letters... meaning Troy's letters... so that I have templates to work off of.) And, in my next letter they will get copies of the letters I've sent out to the authorities.

Mulligan's view on writing the attorney bar associations makes sense as they protect their own, except for egregious violations that they want to distance themselves from. Yet, letters to the FTC, BBBs, Attorney Generals, some big consumer advocate groups, and my own state representatives should have some impact.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

alfbell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
Ok, thanks for the advice and backup. I'll keep you, and anyone else who is interested, informed about any developments.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »
Thanks! Should you decide to file a bar complaint if you don't mind I would appreciate copies of your letters and any responses from the bar associations. I try to keep my files up-to-date with all the latest information but bar complaints unlike Atty. Gen. complaints are not public record and I cannot obtain them in less freely shared by one of the parties involved.

It is a shame because I can tell you how many Atty. Gen. complaints have been filed againstGetty Images and Mr. McCormack as well as how many Better Business Bureau complaints have been filed but cannot get a hold of the bar complaints or even see how many have been filed.

Thanks again and keep fighting!

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.