Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Image located with Image Search and filtered by "labeled for commercial re-use"  (Read 3223 times)

mister meister

• View Profile
So... I just became a member of this unfortunate club :( I'm very happy to see such a wonderful collection of helpful and informative individuals, despite the bad luck that brought me here!

My circumstances for admittance to this club are similar to what this user experienced (http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/image-used-was-from-google-images/), in that the image in question was located using Google Image Search. The letter from Getty is demanding $1,225 for the use of that one image and I'm quite upset.

You can still locate the same image via Google Image Search with the filter:
- Screenshot (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzL9drnWd2lGN09xOGQwbHpRQVU/edit?usp=sharing)
- Search Query (https://www.google.com/search?as_st=y&tbm=isch&hl=en&as_q=cheap&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&cr=&as_sitesearch=&safe=images&tbs=sur:fc&biw=1516&bih=762&sei=eKcTUveFCbKl4AO6x4DICQ#as_st=y&fp=6d551adc3e62aac&hl=en&q=cheap+man&tbm=isch&tbs=sur:fc&facrc=0%3Bcheap%20person&imgdii=_&imgrc=_)

The main difference with my situation (other than the huge image price), however, is that I had things filtered by "labeled for commercial re-use" and the image was hosted on a site that a) didn't display any watermarks and b) included metadata distinguishing it as being up for grabs.

Because of these circumstances, is there anything I may be able to do? I've already removed all traces of the image from the site.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Just deal with it as others have...get yourself educated on copyright...google images searches are NEVER safe, if images are not "public domain" ( different from royalty free ) someone somewhere owns the copyright..regardless of a watermark or EXIF data. I fo  you collected other images from a google search, you'd be wise to remove them, and replace them with either images you create yourself, or with images that you have a license to use..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.