Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: interesting read  (Read 4232 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
interesting read
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »
be sure to read the comment following the article....Looks like Getty might get a taste of thier own medicine.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Re: interesting read
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  Wow!!  This is not good.

Hopefully, most hard working freelance photographers have (or will demand) clear agreements from those that they work with.  If these photographers don't enforce their rights, this will surely happen again to others.

A question, though... was it Getty's responsibility (the buyer) to investigate the origin of those photos?  Or was it the fault of the seller in this case?

I guess that if we went by Getty's "rules", it would be Getty that's responsible... you know, it's the "end user" that should pay up.

S.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:22:04 PM »
I concur, Getty should follow their own example...they state over and over again, "we don't care where or how you got the image, we own it so pay up"... In regards to the earthquke images those weren't even purchased, they grabbed them off his twitter feed and feel cuase they were on twitter they're in the public domain free for the taking.... interested to see how this shakes out... Since I became involved in this I have purchased a high-end DSLR and now take all of my own images, hence getting involved with a very popular DSLR forum, in relation to another posting here, I have posed the question to the minions in regards to whether or not it's standard practice for photogs/artist to sell their images to multiple companies, IE Getty, Corbis, IStock... if this turns out to be standard practices I think this whole getty thing will eventually blow up in there faces..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:46:20 AM »
good info ... thanks!  Another interesting article on the same story:

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/blog-post/1651170/agence-france-presse-slap-photographers

I hope photographers wise up and come to understand that Getty et al are ruining their livelyhood.  I too have bought a high end camera and will never purchase content again.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »
Very interesting indeed. I think the image warehouse would be responsible

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.