Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Help with Masterfile Letter  (Read 6142 times)

Donna

• View Profile
Help with Masterfile Letter
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:18 PM »
I’m in need of advice and/or help about a Masterfile letter I received November 20, 2012 via Federal Express. The letter states I illegally used 6 of their images and owed $11,640.00 for usage! I started searching for the images to see where they could have possibly been on an old company website. The company had been out of business for a couple of years and we keep the URL for email purposes. We didn’t realize the site was still live. It ends up the images were embedded in a Flash file. The Flash file was being used for my resume as an example of work I had done for a company I worked for over 10 years ago. The images were owned by my employer (the company has been bought out by new owners) and the Flash file was created back in 1996. This file was used for resume purposes ONLY and the only access to the file would have been me giving someone the direct link.

In a panic, I made sure the entire site was deleted and then called Masterfile to explain the situation. I talked to Geoffrey Beal which basically said none of that mattered. He said the best he could do was reduce the amount to $5000.00 and I was to send the company $625.00 within 7 days and also include postdated checks in the amount of $625.00 for the next 8 months. Of course, I do not have an extra $625.00 a month!

At a loss, I contacted a few lawyer friends, but none of them were experts in copyright law. I started researching and found this site and have read many posts. Since I didn’t send Masterfile their first check, I have since received 2 emails. The last one states if they don’t receive a check by January 11, they will be forced to take further action. Please help or advise what my next step should be…

cstockwell

• View Profile
Re: Help with Masterfile Letter
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:13:35 PM »
Short of paying them a visit in person as I wanted to do  ;) your best bet is to hire Oscar and pay the $250 to him for the letter program.  Best $250 you will spend for peace of mind and not having to deal with these guys directly.  They are scum and gutless and prey on people who are too afraid to stand up to them. 

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:39:58 PM »
Read the forums, here..don't panic, get educated..DO NOT BLINDLY PAY THEM!, do not correspond via email, do not correspond via telephone. Demand everything be done thru US Postal mail, keep record of everything. Keep Beals email for your records. If you're still unsure, consider an ELI support call with Matthew, of retaining Oscar to draft a letter for you..After your crash course in copyright trolling if you still have questions, that you cannot find answers to , feel free to post them..you're not alone, there have been many before you..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:01:16 PM »
Robert is correct, don’t panic and get educated.  I find it pretty amazing that MasterFail will make a $6640 discount in one shot.  They might have a hard time proving the value of their images (Which we all know are not worth more than 25 bucks tops) when they make such a drastic discount.  Remember they use fear of escalated actions; emanate lawsuit and artificial deadlines to panic you in to paying them before you have a chance to realize you are rolled.  Only the government would pay $700 for a hammer and think it’s a good deal so don’t pay 2000 grand for a picture!  However MasterFail is more aggressive than Getty so you may wish to use Oscar’s letter program. Here are some links to get you started, read, learn and ask questions.  Please keep us posted.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/getting-help-with-your-extortion-letter/

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/got-the-letter-a-question-and-my-plan/

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/an-experiment-against-getty/

Issues with MaterFail’s registrations:
http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/oscar-michelen-defends-chaga-against-$6-million-masterfile-lawsuit/
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Donna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
Thank you all for your quick responses! I'm definitely going to try Oscar's letter program (thank you for the links). I will make sure to keep you posted.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:06 AM »
You will be in great hands with Oscar.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
Masterfile really harasses people and tries to wear them down.
Oscar's letter will be money well spent.

S.G.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »
Calm down, don't panic, don't pay that amount, call me.   

Donna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »
Thank you. I sent the orginal letter to the email address digitalimagelitigation@gmail.com that was listed on the Attorney Oscar Michelen’s Defense Letter Program page. The email was sent January 7. I'm hoping to hear from you soon. I didn't see a number to call you.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »
Donna call 516-741-3222 and speak to Susan...to verify it did not slip thru the cracks during the holiday mayhem!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Donna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
I will call right away. Thank you!

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »
I am in the office Monday morning Donna call me at 516 741 3222 at around 10am NY time

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.