Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: just received an email  (Read 9387 times)

scraggy

• View Profile
Re: just received an email
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »
This sure has an amateur feel to it.

Also Getty Images are also aware of stolen content on your site.

They don't state that it's the same content! Maybe they are aware of additional content on his site that belongs to Getty, and are just throwing Getty's name into the fray to create fear and confusion.

Grammatically, they don't need to write the word "also" twice. They also switch between "I" and "We" throughout the letter. But it seems that AMA is one Matthew Ashton. He actually "Self Published and authored GOODBYE GAY MEADOW - a coffee table book on the old stadium of Shrewsbury Town FC".

Therefore can you tell us on how you wish us to proceed.

Despite having written a book, the above sentence should end with a question mark, and the word "on" shouldn't be there!

You can learn more about the photographer here

http://matthewashton.com/about.html

There is no mention of any affiliation with Getty images in his career summary, and a search on Getty's site reveals no results for AMA sports photography. So why does he mention them at all ???

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 08:07:58 AM »
I suspect this will be easy to defeat..first chance I get, I'll do some digging and postings..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »
I agree with Ian... the letter appears quite amateurish and reads as if it were written by a Nigerian spammer for whom written English is perhaps a seventh language, one of those scammers who wants to send you eighteen million dollars if you'll just provide him with a $1,200 certified check to cover handling costs of the eight mil transfer.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »
This is one of those really obtuse "infringement cases" that will never get anywhere.
A "lawsuit" filed from overseas, over a third-party posting on a blog is laughable.
Even if Wordpress makes a thumbnail of the image and stores it locally, that's a "fourth-party" action.

Couch_Potato makes an interesting query about out-of-country litigants having to post a bond before a court foray.
Personally, I'm not sure about it.  But, it's too bad that the likes of Righthaven wasn't made to do this.
I'm not a lawyer, but people interested in this sort of thing should look into filing a "declaratory judgement".
In some situations, it can be a savvy move; consult your lawyer for more info.

S.G.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:25:43 AM by Matthew Chan »

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 07:39:52 PM »
Being from the UK, they will be even less likely to file suit here. They may not have the US copyright to the image either, you don't know. It is a poorly worded email which raises more questions than it answers. I would not correspond any further with them.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.