Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Karma is a wonderful thing  (Read 5970 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Karma is a wonderful thing
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:30 AM »
I'd post the entire article here, but i don't want to ruffle any feathers!  :o

COURTROOM ARTIST SUES AP, GETTY

http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/news/artnetnews/courtroom-artist-sues-ap-getty.asp
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

JPicker

• View Profile
Re: Karma is a wonderful thing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »
Awwwwwww ....  ;)   ... Perhaps their lawyers will respond with "You know? A simple cease and desist would have been sufficient?"  :P

Katerina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
Ha! Sweeeeeeet!
I hope that someone will be able to catch Masterfile on this too!

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »
This is why I always smile when somebody says "Getty has only exclusive contracts" and "I wouldn't challenge Getty on standing".
I'm smiling, bro.

One note that I'd like to make is that while Getty doesn't sue many people as of now, they do fight back vigorously (from what I've read).
They make it horrendously expensive to fight them.  So, this is something to watch.

S.G.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:36:11 AM by Matthew Chan »

Katerina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
I look forward to updates on this, too! :D

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53:17 PM »
Now that is SWEET justice. Thank you for sharing buddhapi.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
Very interesting - the plaintiff has great counsel in H. Jay Spiegel, so the defendants will have their hands full. Placing Getty's name on her image is a whole separate claim they could pursue. The defendants lawyers have asked for additional time to respond so there is no news yet  but I will monitor the case and let you know what happens.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
A quick update to this case....

Infringement Suit Against AP, Getty Images Approaches Settlement

A copyright infringement case against Associated Press and Hellman & Friedman’s Getty Images is near settlement, according to an Aug. 22 court filing.
Patricia Ann Lopez, an artist who specialized in courtroom sketches, sued the two entities in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, in April. She claimed they made use of some of her courtroom sketches without authorization and compensation.
The artist, based in Okhay Owingeh, New Mexico, has covered a number of significant trials in federal court in which cameras are not permitted. Among the trials where she’s served as a sketch artist are the 1998 trial of Timothy McVeigh for the Oklahoma City bombing, the 2001 murder trial of Andrea Yates, and the 2005 Abu Ghraib-related court martial trials.
She says she maintains the copyrights to her drawings and licenses them to the media, while retaining future rights.
In her court filing she said AP and Getty had been offering for sale or license “hundreds” of her drawings, charging as much as $12,000 for a one-month license.
The two defendants never filed answers to her complaint. In a request for an extension of the deadline for them to respond, counsel for Lopez said that settlement discussions are underway. According to that filing, the artist “believes such negotiations are more likely to prove fruitful if they can be conducted prior to defendants being required to prepare and file answers.”
The request was unopposed by counsel for AP and Getty. The court responded in an Aug. 24 filing, granting the request for extension and saying the reasons for seeking the later date were “meritorious.”
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »
So on October 5, 2011 a discovery plan was filed that indicated the parties were in settlement negotiations and agreed to have discovery completed by 1/13/2012.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.