Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Letters from LCS - no response after 5 weeks?  (Read 13234 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Letters from LCS - no response after 5 weeks?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »
That is bad advice. You don't sign confidentiality agreements over a public document.  The copyright registrations are a public matter and publicly available. However, because of the antiquated system, it can be difficult to search and determine the correct ones.

I have read a lot of advice on various websites.  Some of the advice that deviate from what ELI espouses are not ones I recommend.  They may think they know a lot based on a couple of extortion letters but I say that we have a much larger mindshare, we see more, and have a broader perspective on the issue.

As far as I know, no entity aside from ELI has seen, reported, or dealt with as many stock photo/imagery extortion letters as we have.  We work as a collective team effort with many eyes and ears here.

What I've read from the forums and everywhere else so far is to request for the actual Certificate of Registration from the US Copyright Office from Getty (in your case, LCS).  And of course, after that they would supposedly reply that it is confidential, in which case... you should tell them that you are willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.  That's as far as I know.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 02:16:49 PM »
Your brain is in a fear-feedback loop. That is a personal problem many people have. 

It goes to show that emotion often trumps information with some people. There are people who simply are not well equipped for dispute and conflicts in life.  And they make the easiest victims.  This is what we call "low hanging fruit" for them to pick at.

The answer has been given many times in these forums.  You just don't want to listen because it doesn't satisfy the closure you want.

Get it together or you will continue to be an easy mark in life.

If I had to get extortion letters from someone, it would be LCS I would choose.  What more needs to be said?

I guess my primary question comes down to this: since this was an innocent infringement of a single photo, do I just shut off my correspondence with LCS at this point, call it a day, and try to stick it out for 3 years, hoping for the best, or do I continue to try and engage these people? If I do the latter, I feel like it could go on ad nauseum, with neither side getting anywhere, so why even bother to do that? I made a first attempt, lawyers and a judge would be able to see that, and their answers didn't make sense. If I shut it down entirely at this point, knowing they won't provide the answers I'm seeking, why bother continuing to draft these responses to no avail?

I'll admit that I hardly slept last night because of their letter. My mind spirals out of control and I envision a ridiculous judgment of tens of thousands of dollars via a prolonged lawsuit. Yes, I know, ridiculous, right? I just couldn't shut my brain off. I can't imagine anyone gets happy feelings from getting these things.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:55:27 AM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

michmo823

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
That is bad advice. You don't sign confidentiality agreements over a public document.  The copyright registrations are a public matter and publicly available. However, because of the antiquated system, it can be difficult to search and determine the correct ones.

I have read a lot of advice on various websites.  Some of the advice that deviate from what ELI espouses are not ones I recommend.  They may think they know a lot based on a couple of extortion letters but I say that we have a much larger mindshare, we see more, and have a broader perspective on the issue.

As far as I know, no entity aside from ELI has seen, reported, or dealt with as many stock photo/imagery extortion letters as we have.  We work as a collective team effort with many eyes and ears here.

Hey Matthew, thanks for the reply.

I had no idea the document was a public one.

What exactly do you mean by having a broader perspective on this issue, with regards to Arryn's and my situation?

Arryn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »
Matthew, as always, thank you for the straightforward advice. I clearly understand what you are saying, and I assure you I am not "low hanging fruit." Admittedly, this is the first time something like this has happened to me, so I'm sure you can understand the angst it created. But I researched, researched a little more, and then rinsed and repeated. No payment will be forthcoming from me. I am putting the finishing touches on my final letter to LCS, and that will be the end of it from my end.

Your brain is in a fear-feedback loop. That is a personal problem many people have. 

It goes to show that emotion often trumps information with some people. There are people who simply are not well equipped for dispute and conflicts in life.  And they make the easiest victims.  This is what we call "low hanging fruit" for them to pick at.

The answer has been given many times in these forums.  You just don't want to listen because it doesn't satisfy the closure you want.

Get it together or you will continue to be an easy mark in life.

If I had to get extortion letters from 3 years, it would be LCS I would choose.  What more needs to be said?

I guess my primary question comes down to this: since this was an innocent infringement of a single photo, do I just shut off my correspondence with LCS at this point, call it a day, and try to stick it out for 3 years, hoping for the best, or do I continue to try and engage these people? If I do the latter, I feel like it could go on ad nauseum, with neither side getting anywhere, so why even bother to do that? I made a first attempt, lawyers and a judge would be able to see that, and their answers didn't make sense. If I shut it down entirely at this point, knowing they won't provide the answers I'm seeking, why bother continuing to draft these responses to no avail?

I'll admit that I hardly slept last night because of their letter. My mind spirals out of control and I envision a ridiculous judgment of tens of thousands of dollars via a prolonged lawsuit. Yes, I know, ridiculous, right? I just couldn't shut my brain off. I can't imagine anyone gets happy feelings from getting these things.

Arryn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »
So, as you can see from the old dates on this thread, it's been about 9 months since I've heard from LCS. In a nutshell, I received an LCS letter in Nov. 2015 for a single image, responded once asking for lots of add'l detail per these forums, got a flimsy response many weeks later, and then I sent a final response in April 2016 telling them that: 1. they didn't answer my questions, 2. they only responded to me via email (not snail mail as well), 3. their response looked like spam and had several grammatical mistakes, 4. to close my file and that I'd be filing complaints with the BBB and attorney general of WA. To date, I haven't heard bupkus from LCS. Is that long of a delayed response normal from LCS, or is there a chance they closed my file? I haven't clicked on the link to make a payment via the LCS website in fear that they monitor those clicks and perhaps it could trigger a response from them (perhaps that's an overblown fear). Anyone experience a long delay like this? Is clicking on their payment link to see if it still open a big deal? As always, thank you for your wisdom.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 02:01:13 AM »
Are you complaining it is too quiet? No, I don't think your file is closed. I am quite confident they will revive their efforts to communicate, if you give them a reason to do so. In any case, your file could be "escalated" and then you will have your answer if your file was closed or not.

There is a 3-year statute of limitations. So set your calendar by that. And Silence is golden.

So, as you can see from the old dates on this thread, it's been about 9 months since I've heard from LCS. In a nutshell, I received an LCS letter in Nov. 2015 for a single image, responded once asking for lots of add'l detail per these forums, got a flimsy response many weeks later, and then I sent a final response in April 2016 telling them that: 1. they didn't answer my questions, 2. they only responded to me via email (not snail mail as well), 3. their response looked like spam and had several grammatical mistakes, 4. to close my file and that I'd be filing complaints with the BBB and attorney general of WA. To date, I haven't heard bupkus from LCS. Is that long of a delayed response normal from LCS, or is there a chance they closed my file? I haven't clicked on the link to make a payment via the LCS website in fear that they monitor those clicks and perhaps it could trigger a response from them (perhaps that's an overblown fear). Anyone experience a long delay like this? Is clicking on their payment link to see if it still open a big deal? As always, thank you for your wisdom.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:46:22 AM by Matthew Chan »

Arryn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 09:25:09 AM »
Thanks, Matthew. I'll go crawl back in my little hole now and not make a peep, and won't click on that LCS link as well. Let's hope for the best. I know time is on their side as to the 3 years, but I was surprised they'd let this much time pass and figured they'd be more aggressive.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.