Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Looking for Highsmith Letter Recipients  (Read 4271 times)

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Looking for Highsmith Letter Recipients
« on: August 22, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »
To my beloved ELI Forum members: Yes its been awhile since I have posted but the forum has a life of its own and it continues to address the important issues of the day in the copyright arena so I want to get back into it with the recent filing of the Highsmith v. Getty Images complaint and amended complaint.  Matt Chan already posted my article about the case from my CourtroomStrategy.com blog I do not want to get into great detail but I would like to hear from anyone who received a letter from Getty related to a Highsmith picture. If anyone knows of a letter recipient who was contacted by Getty or NCIS or LCS or any other entity please have them email me at omichelen@cuomollc.com  Thanks

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: Looking for Highsmith Letter Recipients
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 06:04:29 PM »
Forgot that I wanted to give a shout out to forum user Engel Nyst who has already spotted one such recipient and notified me. Engel has been on top of the discussion of this case from the beginning. 

Engel Nyst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:46:02 PM »
Forgot that I wanted to give a shout out to forum user Engel Nyst who has already spotted one such recipient and notified me. Engel has been on top of the discussion of this case from the beginning.

I'm happy to. Indeed I spent quite a lot of time on the case since I saw it.

It doesn't seem fair any way I take it, for any decent or innocent party in all this, author and misled users, to see Getty get away then do it again.

Heck, happy to help in the hope that it won't do it again, at least.

To my beloved ELI Forum members: Yes its been awhile since I have posted but the forum has a life of its own and it continues to address the important issues of the day in the copyright arena so I want to get back into it with the recent filing of the Highsmith v. Getty Images complaint and amended complaint.  Matt Chan already posted my article about the case from my CourtroomStrategy.com blog I do not want to get into great detail but I would like to hear from anyone who received a letter from Getty related to a Highsmith picture. If anyone knows of a letter recipient who was contacted by Getty or NCIS or LCS or any other entity please have them email me at omichelen@cuomollc.com  Thanks

It might be time consuming to find more. We'll see of course, but what bothers me is, what is the likelihood people knew they were Highsmith photos? At least from Alamy, and sometimes Getty, her name wasn't mentioned at all. And if her name was on the photo on Getty's site, but people got somehow a copy without name, they might not know.

Just brainstorming, what can we do:
- social media sharing this
- the photos might help: we can set up a site with them, and clear information for people to check their case and take action, eg description of the case, what we think, what we need
- spread info on our other sites
- tempted to think of ... automatically scanning internet archive for traces of those files, maybe file names - ok, bad idea

I'm sure it can be done, it just seems to need a lot of time reaching out and trying to spread info and get info, and time seems a concern. It's needed before discovery? I'm assuming during discovery they should come to light from Getty. Might need some monkeys to do the job.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
Yes, Engel Nyst has appeared suddenly out of the blue and have made important contributions to this and several other discussions of late. Many of us have taken notice of his hard work, research, and informative analysis, indeed.

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.