Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Masterfile Extortion Letter  (Read 3637 times)

lynnsoli

• View Profile
Masterfile Extortion Letter
« on: August 19, 2010, 12:14:52 AM »
I received one of these extortion letters from Masterfile last week. I am the sole owner of a very small corporate event company and I do corporate event planning and operation. Purely aside from this, I also plan one-two international trips per year for friends and family. I have a small website which announces those trips to my friends and family (as well as posts information on the global non-profit agency I operate in conjunction with the trips). The photo Masterfile claims I illegally used was on this website announcing these friends and family trips. The letter from Masterfile demanded immediate payment of $3510 or they would take further action. I e-mailed what the website was used for (trips for friends and family) and explained that I copied the photo from a Travel Company in Egypt which must have illegally copied it. There was no watermark on it when I used it to announce a trip. Unfortunately although I wrote down the website I copied the photo from (which I thought I could legally use), when I went back to the web address they no longer had a website. Masterfile contacted me the same day I e-mailed them and offered to "negotiate" so I felt they must have had that in mind all the time. They first offered $1000, then $750, then $500~ each time the "agent" went to his "boss" for approval and then called me back with the "approval". It felt just like the tactics used when buying a car. Finally I was told that if I did not comply immediately further action would be taken. I sent a check. I am not sure why I am posting a message, except that it make me feel less alone to know there is an entire world of this type of extortion going on out there. Is there anything further I can do or should I just let it rest? I feel very taken advantage of and used. I know I was not in the wrong, but felt terrorized by Masterfile's tactics and gave in.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Masterfile Extortion Letter
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »
The travel company in Egypt may had had the rights to use the photo, but this does not give you the rights to use the photo/image, if you went back to the travel site and it was gone, then i have a feeling masterfile went after them as well... I have a lot of client that think if it's on the web or can be found in googles image or such that they are free for the taking. As we all know this is just not the case... Oscar will have to weigh in as to if you have other options, but if you sent a check I think that pretty much sums it up.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: Masterfile Extortion Letter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:38:51 PM »
Dear Lynn:

Believe me it was worth it to settle the matter and put it to rest. Generally Masterfile treats "hobby" or "non-commercial" sites much differently that e-retail or business websites which is why they came down to that number so quickly.  Masterfile would not have stopped bothering you and may even have filed suit if you did not work something out with them.  Their program works because it would have cost you far more than $500 to call their bluff and find out you got sued. I think the only way this burdensome program ends is if more Federal Courts agree with our position and declare that they cant use compilation registration to enforce individual image infringements.  Don't worry too much about your payment, at least it puts an end to the contacts from Masterfile

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.