Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Masterfile Letter  (Read 4280 times)

mxmeli

• View Profile
Masterfile Letter
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
I am a volunteer with my local Humane Society, and we recently received a letter from Masterfile (you know the drill). The image in question was a small image of a cat and dogs that came with a free template we downloaded from our website host back in 2006. Our group is entirely staffed by volunteers, and of course we don't have expertise in this. I was wondering if it would be inappropriate to contact the photographer who took the picture and explain our situation. I would think that artists have the power to help, but wondered if anyone had experience with that. Also, any other wise words would be most appreciated. I'm trying to keep everyone from getting into a state of panic over this. Another something to note is that our society is in its last year or so of work... we are winding down due to the fact that there are many other organizations in our area that are doing the same type of work with more resources. Does Masterfile have any legal standing to "come after" individuals? Or will they "go away" when we close? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lettered

• View Profile
Re: Masterfile Letter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »
who was the website registered to?  the non-profit? an individual?

mxmeli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »
It is registered to the nonprofit.

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »
In the unlikely event that they sued the non-profit over a single image, what would be the consequence? Any assets your worried about losing? I mean, you're "winding down" anyway, right? 

I think I saw some advice somewhere on these forums that you shouldn't dissolve a company if your worried someone is going to sue.  Not sure if that advice would apply to non profits or not.  Ill see if I can find the thread.

mxmeli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »
Regarding the assets, I don't think there's much to lose. My understanding is they are working toward distributing all funds to other organizations over the next year or so. I don't even know what it takes to "dissolve" the organization. I'm not on the board... just the "lowly volunteer" who had the bad fortune of using that website template with the image in question.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
if the web template was purchased, from template monster, or another company that is still around, I would contact them directly to explain the issue.. The problem with "free" templates is you just don't know where the imagery comes from. The photographer will probably not care about the circumstances, they expect to be paid for their services and use of their images. Contacting MF will likely just lead to the same old run around. Them actually filing a lawsuit over a single image is low, and don't forget they would need to file where you are, and they are in Canada, so the risk to them is a bit larger it would be a losing venture.. Have you consider the letter defense program? It might be the way to go to keep the alarmism to a minimum.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
Here's one of the threads I was thinking of:
http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/masterfile-researching-photo-claim-on-us-copyright-site/5/?wap2

Regarding the assets, I don't think there's much to lose. My understanding is they are working toward distributing all funds to other organizations over the next year or so. I don't even know what it takes to "dissolve" the organization. I'm not on the board... just the "lowly volunteer" who had the bad fortune of using that website template with the image in question.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.