Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Masterfile letter received...  (Read 4424 times)

mischale

• View Profile
Masterfile letter received...
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
Thank you so much for this website. I have learned soooooooo much.

I received a letter a couple of days ago for 1 image, invoiced $3500 (apprx).

The image was indeed on the site. I took it down immediately of course. As in most cases, it was totally innocent/ignorant infringement.

The deal is, the site and business for which the site was created isnt even a real business. It was a creation for a business that I have had in my head for years. I just havent had the confidence nor the time to pursue it. My husband teaches school and has had his pay drastically cut and actually he lingers on EVEN having a job and my pay and hours were cut as well. This happened last year and things have not changed. I decided to start giving this business in my head a try and initiated action by getting help creating a website (from a guy overseas in SAfrica)....but that is as far as it got ... literally.

I know that the domain is in my name and I am responsible. I am considering asking Oscar to advise/help, but letter states 10 days and I know he is busy and may not be able to assist in that timeframe so I thought I would ask for any advice here. I think I read to just ignore the 10day threat, but I am nervous.

Boy the stuff you learn! Definitely learning experience...just hope it is not expensive one. I literally have $0!! In fact, in the red...embarrassing but so true!

Thanks for any and all input!

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Masterfile letter received...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
Thanks for doing your homework on Masterfile using our forums. It makes life easier.

You can simply write a letter to Masterfile that you intend to hire Oscar as your attorney. As long as you do that, I think Masterfile will comply and go through Oscar as you are waiting for him to take your case.

Matthew
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

mischale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
Matthew thank you so very much! I will do that. If you or Oscar ever need help with anything, I will gladly assist. I am a medical transcriptionist and have interned as a legal assistant while in school. I would love to help in any way I can to help in this effort to help innocent people. It is just unbelievable and so scary. I have been sick over it and my productivity at work has suffered, so double whammy! I just hate for others to go through this. I cannot even imagine those who have been invoiced for 10K+!

I can do any typing you need in regards to this issue for free.

Michelle

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:20:23 AM »
Thanks Michelle, did you contact my office about this or are you going it alone?

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.