Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Masterfile Sent My "Debt" to Collections (NOT demand - collections!)  (Read 2836 times)

anonuser10

• View Profile
A year and a half ago Masterfile contacted me about an image on my site. I immediately removed it, and in fact I removed all images I did not take myself from my site.

I have received multiple letters and calls during this time but have not responded at all. My reasoning is anything I do or say can and will be used against me by an entity with many more legal resources and much deeper pockets. I am in Canada.

Here is an email I recently received from a collection agency called Altus:                         

5 DAY DEMAND

AMOUNT:      $1,200.00
INTEREST:   
ADD ON:     
TOTAL:         $1,200.00                             

Dear [redacted].

The above claim has been placed with our firm for collection.  Prior to having an attorney evaluate the merits of litigation, we wish to allow you a final opportunity to satisfy the debt voluntarily.  The above stated balance must be sent to our offices to avoid further action.

Refusal to honor this debt within 5 days of receipt of this demand can mean appropriate legal action will be taken to protect our client's interest.

Please visit [redacted] to make a payment or to arrange payment terms.

[redacted]

D1
North Carolina Department of Insurance Permit Number 4418
This collection agency is licensed by the Minnesota Department of Commerce

This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information will be used for that purpose. If you dispute the validity of this debt you have 30 days to notify us of such.

It seems clear to me that this is not just a demand letter. There is clear language indicating that:

1) I owe a sum of money to Masterfile
2) The sum of money has been transferred to a collections agency acting on Masterfile's behalf
3) An attempt is being made to collect a debt
4) If I dispute the debt I have a limited time to dispute it, after which it will presumably be reported to the big credit reporting agencies

Does anyone have insight here? You cannot collect a debt with no contract, my initial instinct was to immediately contest the debt and ask for validation. BUT - contact from me after 1.5+ years of silence may encourage them.

The statute of limitations where I am is two years. It seems they are either preparing to take action or making a last ditch attempt to squeeze some money out. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:48:29 AM by anonuser10 »

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Masterfile Sent My "Debt" to Collections (NOT demand - collections!)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
If you dispute the validity of this debt you have 30 days to notify us of such.

You simply need to inform the collection agency that this is not a debt, but a claim.  If this action on Masterfile's part pissed you off as much as it may have pissed me off had it happened to me, you might also consider:
  • Reporting their actions to your state's Attorney General
  • Reporting their actions to the Better Business Bureau
  • Reporting their actions to your Congressmen and asking for their assistance with legislation to prevent large companies from this kind of activity
  • Any other thing you can think of to ruin their day as much as they have ruined yours.

There are lots of ideas and examples in these forums.  My take after 5 or 6 years of observing this stuff, is that there are two types of people in the world.  Those that get steamrolled by these kinds of companies and those that stand up for themselves vigorously.  Which one are you?

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Masterfile Sent My "Debt" to Collections (NOT demand - collections!)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:44 PM »
Debt collection agencies have strict rules to follow. I suggest you contact the debt collection agency and let them know this is NOT a debt. Because debt collection agencies can report what they believe is debt to credit agencies. I don't think people need that additional grief.

And if they won't relent, then you might have to report the debt collection agency itself. Go google it, there are websites that will direct to the correct agency.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.