Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Model Sues Getty After Seeing Herself in an HIV-Positive Advertisement  (Read 4949 times)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
This was just posted over on the The Getty Images Settlement Demand Letter is EXTORTION! Facebook page by Luke McConville.  Getty is being sued by a model who lives in New York, Getty sold her image to by used as the New York poster child for HIV rights.....she is not HIV positive.

Getty continues to amaze me with the crap that they continually pull.

http://petapixel.com/2013/09/22/model-sues-getty-seeing-hiv-positive-advertisement/
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Model Sues Getty After Seeing Herself in an HIV-Positive Advertisement
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
There are many other factors to look at here.

1. The photog may have royally screwed up, by not getting a model release.
2. The photog apparently agreed to Getty's contract, but did not "fully understand the terms"
3. Getty and the model may very well indeed sue the photog.  ( I bet 10.00 this happens )..

"Cumbo (the photographer) never received authorization from Nolan to sell the photo after the fashion shoot two years ago, but she’s also arguing that the Division of Human Rights should have contacted Nolan before using her as a poster child for the HIV community.

The above implies a lack of a model release, and Nolan ( the model)  will get nowhere going after the Division of Human Rights, after all they properly licensed the image, so again this falls back on the photographer.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »
Very good points Robert, thanks!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »
... Nolan ( the model)  will get nowhere going after the Division of Human Rights, after all they properly licensed the image, so again this falls back on the photographer.
I'm not sure she'll get nowhere. The ad runs a quote where the model herself is supposedly saying "I am HIV positive".  She is not HIV positive. Being accused of a loathsome disease can be 'defamation per se'. And it's impossible to view the poster as ironic, snide, indulging in hyberbole and so on. I think it's fair to say that an ordinary person looking at that poster would believe that the model in the picture is HIV positive.   Licensing an image matters for copyright, but it's irrelevant in a defamation claim. 

I don't think the photographer's screw up will help the Division of Human Rights either.  Even if a license to use the image had been valid, it might not be valid to use it in a context that makes it appear the model is admitting to the world that she has HIV.  Certainly it's pretty irresponsible for the Division of Human Rights to use the image in this way.   I suspect the New York Dvision of Human Rights may learn an important lesson: People who don't have HIV also have some rights. :)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »
All good points Lucia..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »
I hope Getty takes a big hit over this.
Anyway, how is THIS:

"We empathize with and understand the sensitivity of Avril Nolan’s situation. Getty Images had a model release and relied upon the photographer’s documentation when we made the image available for license."

different than THIS (which would be a large percentage of the situations complained about here):

We empathize with and understand the sensitivity of Getty's situation. We had a work for hire agreement and relied upon the third party developer's documentation when we used the image on our website.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
EXACTLY! Getty relied on the claims of a third party and would like to be held blameless.

The only thing I am disappointed in is it seems Lloyd is pursuing Division of Human Rights rather than Getty Images.

Getty did not respond to a request for comment. Lloyd said she will pursue claims against the Division of Human Rights for defamation and violation of Nolan’s civil rights. The agency also did not respond to a request for comment.

The photographer who took the picture said it ended up in the ad through a series of unfortunate mistakes. “A lot of people dropped the ball,” said Jena Cumbo. “I made a mistake. I didn’t understand my contract (with Getty).”

Lloyd said that Cumbo and Nolan are acquaintances who had shot the photo as part of an online fashion feature two years ago. Nolan never signed a release authorizing Cumbo to sell her likeness to a third party, Lloyd said.

Cumbo argued the Division of Human Rights crossed a line by casting Nolan as a victim of the deadly disease without contacting her.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-woman-wrongly-depicted-hiv-positive-ad-article-1.1461694#ixzz2gDhNKSKR
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
This falls squarely on the photographer and Getty Images. The photog should have gotten a model release and Getty should have asked to see a model release before adding the picture to their catalog.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.