Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Need an opinion on a letter I received.  (Read 60158 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Need an opinion on a letter I received.
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »
Around August, I received the standard letter that everyone here has seen. It was for one image that wasn't hosted on my site, which was a tumblr blog that I had linked to my domain for a short period of time. I recently received the email that everyone comes here after reading and obviously do not plan to respond, nor did I respond to the letter. One thing I have noticed from reading this thread and others over the past few months is that many of the people who were actively sharing updates don't give a conclusion or stop responding. If I continue to just not respond, knowing they have no case and that I have done nothing illegal or wrong, will things continue to escalate? Have they ever actually just left someone alone?

if the image was hosted at tumblr and NOT on your servers, I wouldn't even care if they "escalated" it or not, they have no case, if it were me I would gladly enjoy watching them spin their wheels for nothing and not give it another thought.. Or you could also take jerry's adsvise, and tell them the image in question was never on your servers, it was linked from an outisde source, and if they wish to continue to pster you , you will invoice them for any time spent going back and forth..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
One thing I have noticed from reading this thread and others over the past few months is that many of the people who were actively sharing updates don't give a conclusion or stop responding.

That's because most people are too lazy or too self-centered to return to share this information. Sorry, but it is becoming increasingly clear that beyond the couple dozen people that are consistently active on this thread, few even return after their three year statute of limitations are up to say they made it without further action.

Fortunately several people like Matt, Greg, Stinger and Lucia keep an eye on court filings and report when there is any actual cases filed. So we can assume the vast majority of extortion letter victims that posted on this board three years ago either decided to pay up or they went silently into the night without further incident.

Maybe after reading this it will encourage others to follow up down the road and "pay it forward" by sharing their results.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

JLorimer

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2014, 01:27:57 AM »
I share news when I have it. I'm in a holding pattern right now. It's been about a full year since I received my letter. There is an observation date in the letter that shows the infringement 6 months before the letter was sent so I like to go by that date. At best, I'm a year and a half into this. At worst, it's one year. I think my case is basically over since I haven't heard from them since sending my response letter. Many I have talked with do not like playing the waiting game and they pay up. I feel bad for those people, but I certainly understand the peace that it buys them. I stressed and worried for weeks on end before I finally began to feel relief.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2014, 09:43:03 AM »
Jlorimer, if it's Getty you are speaking about, they may still take another run at you.

Sometimes they do that, hoping to catch you in a "pang of conscience" moment, or hope that you think this means they have escalated.  My advice if they do, is to show them you are willing to hit back with the fury of a Greg Troy.

Bullies tend to run and hide when you hit them right between the eyes.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
My three years is just about here... I've got to check the date!

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
I posted about gettign the Getty letter on Nov. 29, 2011. So... soon. Very soon!

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »
JLorimer and Lucia I hope you know I wasn't talking about you two. I am specifically thinking about all the people that posted here three years or more ago, freaking out. They got the advice they needed and vanished, never to return.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
I didn't think you meant me.  It just prompted me to think about the date!

fighting_masterfile

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2014, 08:58:12 PM »
One thing I have noticed from reading this thread and others over the past few months is that many of the people who were actively sharing updates don't give a conclusion or stop responding.

That's because most people are too lazy or too self-centered to return to share this information. Sorry, but it is becoming increasingly clear that beyond the couple dozen people that are consistently active on this thread, few even return after their three year statute of limitations are up to say they made it without further action.

Fortunately several people like Matt, Greg, Stinger and Lucia keep an eye on court filings and report when there is any actual cases filed. So we can assume the vast majority of extortion letter victims that posted on this board three years ago either decided to pay up or they went silently into the night without further incident.

Maybe after reading this it will encourage others to follow up down the road and "pay it forward" by sharing their results.

I have just hit the 3 year mark in my fight with Master Fail .  I have read lots here on this site (and others) but have still not gotten over the pissed off feeling for Master Fail.  I am working on something to come out swinging shortly.  The laws need to be changed so that Companies can not extort money from people. I do hold strongly that copyright owners need to be protected BUT laws need to be changed so that we are not extorted the money.

fighting_masterfile

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
Also MANY THANKS for all who help or run this site and for the information given out

JLorimer

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2014, 12:25:37 PM »
I didn't think you meant me.  It just prompted me to think about the date!

Same here.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.