Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: need direction please  (Read 5547 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
need direction please
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:04:33 PM »
Greetings,

I got the letter today and need some directions, I had purchased a template pack in 2004, which also include a "license" to use the templates, images ect...naturally I have no "sales order" as it was purchased online and downloaded, the company where I purchased the templates have apparently vanished, leaving me with the mess.. So my question is twofold..
1. how do i go about retaining your services?
2. more of a problem with the 2 images I had on my site, is that I own/operate  a web design company and may have used more of these images included with the templates for client sites..I can see this turning very ugly and possibly putting me out of business..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Bob
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: need direction please
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
Dear Bob:

Most of the businesses that got into this situation got into it because of templates, so you are not alone.  About one-third of the 120 plus businesses we represent on this are web developers who have hired us on behalf of  customers of theirs who got Getty letters. So  you are not alone their either. Can you obtain the name of the site where you got the templates from? I can check to see if we have other cases that have dealt with it.

As for putting you out of business, that all depends on how many images are involved and whether it will be likely if you are sued. Our letter fee remains $150 so that should help as once we respond for you Getty can no longer contact you directly and we can try and resolve it for you. I can be reached at my office tomorrow morning between 9-10AM at 1 800 640 2000 or shoot me an email at xxx with your contact info  and I will respond
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:51:22 PM by Matthew Chan »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:28:08 PM »
Greetings,
Thanx so much for helping with this issue, as an FYI any emails i send you are getting bounced back.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
Try sending them to my personal address  xxx
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:51:37 PM by Matthew Chan »

thomas

• View Profile
Need Direction Please. We got the letter, and have responded.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:43:03 AM »
Oscar,

I received a "demand" letter dated May 14, 2009 distributed by GettyImages from a client of mine for $1,000 ($900 if paid within a few weeks). I took the images off the page, contacted GettyImages (with many calls to get Chloe live) and eventually talked to a Enjoy Santos.

Approximately nine (9) years ago, a good friend and client of a transportation company asked our small company to design a web page. I had contacted several stock photography companies, and asked for prices. The costs for the images I wanted to use were in the $500 area per/image per year. My client rejected all images in that price range or an annual cost of renewal, and we instead used Royalty-Free Images from purchased CD's, and/or companies that I had contacted directly and asked the cost for a "postage stamp" size of an image for a web page. I do not remember all the 'stock photography' businesses I contacted, but was given the "ok" to use a very small image from the section called "Royalty-Free." The images were used to create a small banner at the top of the page, and remained unchanged for the past 9 years.

I read through the demand letter, tried calling the number many times (phone went straight to voice mail with a 2 day delay for a response on the machine). I finally got through to Chloe and tranfered to Mr. Enjay Santos.  I was unaware that this was a scheme, and talked him. He wrote a reply and stated GettyOne was a collection of companies at the time we were given access to use the images (I still do not know if they came from GettyOne or not).

I replied that since their were a unknown number of stock photography businesses, a "error proof" method could not be established that the images came from GettyImages/GettyOne or the terms in which an image could have been distributed through different stock photography vendors. In fact, Mr. Santos did not know that GettyOne was the former name of the company, and mentioned he had not been with the company very long.  I also stated that the letter was a "demand" where no offer/acceptance took place between GettyOne that established any photos from their company were mutually exclusive, and the images were used by permission from the source of origin at the time the sight was designed.

He wrote back and basically said, he did not care where the images came from, and would not address that the images based on his own admission were distributed by multiple vendors, GettyImages would continue to "demand" payment as long as we were unable to produce licence for the image directly from them.  The president of the transportation company said he had considered paying the $900 (reduced from a $1,000 from the first letter - just as you describe) than go through litigation.  I found your site, and talked with him immedatly, and forwarded your URL.  

The letter has strained our 21 year company relationship with our client. We created the web site/brand for about $800.00 nine years ago. If they pay the bill, they said I might be financially responsible for pursue me for damages.

The letter has caused a great deal of tension. We were to meet on a new web project with the same company next week.

What should we do?

TJ

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:30:42 PM »
TJ Getty will never sue for one image. Let us write a letter for you or your client ($150) and then Getty will have to contact us directly. We may be able to get them down a bit we'll see

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.