Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Oscar Michelen: Court Calls Out “Copyright Troll”, Fines Him $10K/Frivolous Suit  (Read 13495 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
ELI's Oscar Michelen writes about "copyright infringement troll attorney Richard Liebowitz" and his frivolous lawsuit. Judge Cote called out Liebowitz as a "copyright troll" due to his filing 500 image infringement lawsuits in the last 2 years in New York.

https://courtroomstrategy.com/2018/03/court-labels-attorney-as-copyright-troll-and-fines-him-10000-over-frivolous-case-involving-photograph/

It is safe to say that copyright extortionist, Liebowtiz is the most prolific and abusive "lawsuiter" in ELI's history of covering photo image infringements.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

clist

• On your side
    • View Profile
Awesome!

Hopefully other judges will follow suit and ultimately end this shady business of copyright extortion.. 
Knowledge isn't free - you have to pay attention.

kingkendall

• View Profile
Re: Oscar Michelen: Court Calls Out
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 10:39:12 AM »
Thank you so much Matt for posting this link.  Oscar Michelen's article is a gold mine of information for it confirms my own research into how Mathew Higbee operates.  Every one of the cases he files gets settled before the pre-conference and discovery schedule ever gets set up.  Can Higbee or his associates  be far behind for the cases he's filed in SDNY? 

aot

• View Profile
This post made my day! Even better than someone winning a lawsuit and better than doing a settlement for $0.

I will gladly donate to anyone who is willing to work on exposing copyright infringement extortion as a real thing and a social harm due to the fact that it causes immense emotional stress in nearly all victims who do not have deep pockets.

I compare it to Pay Day Loans scams.

Ethan Seven

• View Profile
Not to dampen your excitement, but the name calling or sanctions did not seem to slow him down.  He is still filing way more photo based copyright lawsuits than anyone in the country. 

I do not read much about him on any of the forums I follow, my guess is that is because he does not make pre-litigation efforts to resolve claims and instead just sues people.  People tend to not post things on forums if they have been sued.     

It will be interesting to see how long he can file so many cases before the judges in NY really start punishing him. 

Even if I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer.  Copyright matters can have serious consequences.  If you have assets worth protecting, consult a lawyer who is familiar with copyright law and who can review the facts of your case. If you cannot afford one, call your state or county bar association.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.