Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: PicScout is possibly flawed  (Read 4521 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
PicScout is possibly flawed
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
A client brought to my attention that she recieved the GI letter, after her sending me copies to review the info I noticed the following.

1. the letter is claiming 4 infringements (875.00 for each image)
2. as usuaul they show images of the images from thier library with corresponding catalog numbers
3. they also provide the side by side screenshots of the images being used..

however..the image they are claiming is a single image from a single page, yet they claim their are 4 images!
yes all 4 images in GI catalog are similar, but the screenshots they provide are clearly all from the same page within the site containing only 1 image.

So is Getty stating that someone may have used 4 of thier images and merged them together to make 1 image, or could this possibly be a flaw within picscout?
My thinking is the latter which could prove to be something significant in terms of GI proving to a court that these are their images..

Just some food for thought, for all involved, be sure to review your letters very carefully!

In the meantime my client will be contacting Oscars office to draft a letter.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Re: PicScout is possibly flawed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »
Interesting post by buddhapi.
A flaw within picscount could be causing it to flag multiple images that look similar as "infringed".
There may also be a more sinister aspect to this....
Is the entire system becoming automated?
Computers spewing letters and alleged "screen shots"; who knows if a human even looks at these before they're stuffed into envelopes?
I'm surprised that they haven't outsourced to a developing country in order to to stuff their envelopes.

S.G.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »
I'm wondering what Oscar's thoughts on this would be, hopefully he'll see this post and hopefully my client will also bring this to his attention when she contacts him..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »
then again maybe Oscar won't see it....

Robert Krausankas

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »
buddhapi - no one has mentioned this to me before. It seems relatively easy to resolve as Getty always includes the catalog shot of the image along with the screenshot of the image, so if it is not the same, then it is not infringement.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »
I concur, but the fact remains that the letter shows 1 image on 1 page, yet it also shows 4 of GI library images, they won't say which one cause they want to collect on all 4..This scenario should show up on your desk at some point, as my client is supposed to contact you and I think she has used your letter on a different occasion as well..

Thanx again for your dedication to this cause!

Robert Krausankas

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
likewise! This one could be very interesting!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.