Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Profile sniffers  (Read 7237 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Profile sniffers
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:39:12 PM »
So the last couple of days I've been looking to see who's online...Most times they are "guest" and the majority of these guests are not looking at threads, but looking at profiles...I wish a little bird could give me some IP's for these "guests".. I think I have a feeling of hwere they are coming from...just sayn : )

Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: Profile sniffers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
I bet there is a setting in the forum software Matt is using to make it impossible for anonymous "Guests" to view profiles. Just a thought.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:45:01 AM »
There's probably a setting that's used to hide profiles.

However, you can hide most bits of information on your own profile if you wish.

It's doubtful that many people could get much personal info from the profiles listing in any case.

But, yeah it would be nice to see who's looking...

S.G.

Katerina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
That's interesting! But I am sure too, that guests cannot see registered profiles.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:52:25 PM »
I agree, I just found it curious...
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »
I am not sure why it is happening but these forums are spammed very heavily with spambots or forum spammers to set up accounts and post spam advertising.

Everyone must have a legitimate email in order to post here.  They also need to do a manual confirmation.  Not only that, the email submitted is cross-checked by a spam-prevention service of known forum spammers.

Many of those would-be spammers cannot cross over beyond the guest because they are being stopped cold either through a ban of their IP address or email addresses.

So, there are many illegitimate guests (spam-bots) combing this forum.  I have not yet blocked profile information because I assumed that some people would want to contact one another.  But perhaps I need to reconsider that.

This is one of the hated tasks that I don't often talk about. Keeping the robo-spammers out is a job without the right software tools in place.  So far, so good except I hate receiving about 50-70 emails a day from bogus registrations. It is very disheartening to see.

Matthew
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
We're surrounded by trolls! copyright trolls, content trolls, emails trolls and spambots.. You're doing a great job keeping them out thus far, I'm active on a few other forums, where they've succeeded and it's amazing who much spam is dumped on a daily basis.

Robert Krausankas

Katerina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
Well, yes, so far there was no any spam message in this forum....

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 04:41:09 PM »
A couple slipped by the system and was reported by Buddhapi today and it was promptly removed.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

DoctorC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »
You may have done this already, but if not, you should be working this concept into your htaccess files:

http://williamfaulkner.co.uk/2007/09/picscout-getty-images-and-goodbye-istockphoto/

http://danielwebb.us/software/bot-trap/

DoctorC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
Thanx for sharing DoctorC and welcome to the forum!

Going to look further into the bot trap, it's seem a little outdated so some modification may be in order. I've already blocked all of Israel, but now that getty has accquired picscout there is the chance they may move the operation to the states..

Robert Krausankas

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
buddhapi: Thats exactly what I just posted in response to an earlier post of yours. I suspect that PicSCout will remain in Israel for some time though.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.